How to avoid chipping when routing end grain??!!

I am getting bad chip out when routing the ends on cabinet door frames. I am getting really sick of it. I thought oak was bad, but now I am working in walnut, and it is even worse.

I have tried hitting the end first, but that doesn't help. Going real real real slow at the end does minimize it, but then it burns; which is better than chipping, but not much.

I have thought of ganging the pieces and putting some scrap on the end, but that seem dangerous because they don't have flat sides.

Any practical ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Use a scrap backer-board. It should be same dimensions as workpiece.

See:

of info there.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

I route the endgrain first. The pass down the next side takes away the chipping. Also, you can start with a climb cut on the end grain or use a backer board. Having a quality, sharp bit also helps a lot.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I didn't know what a climb cut was, so I did a google search. The first two references said it is dangerous without a powerfeed. Having tried it without knowing it had a name, guessing it might help, I think I agree. I can easily picture the piece of wood flying into my face pretty fast. So, a backerboard...

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Reply to
Bay Area Dave