How to avoid chipping when routing end grain??!!

I am getting bad chip out when routing the ends on cabinet door frames. I am getting really sick of it. I thought oak was bad, but now I am working in walnut, and it is even worse.
I have tried hitting the end first, but that doesn't help. Going real real real slow at the end does minimize it, but then it burns; which is better than chipping, but not much.
I have thought of ganging the pieces and putting some scrap on the end, but that seem dangerous because they don't have flat sides.
Any practical ideas? Thanks.
Use a scrap backer-board. It should be same dimensions as workpiece.
See: http://www.patwarner.com /
Tons of info there.
-JBB

I route the endgrain first. The pass down the next side takes away the chipping. Also, you can start with a climb cut on the end grain or use a backer board. Having a quality, sharp bit also helps a lot.
Preston

I didn't know what a climb cut was, so I did a google search. The first two references said it is dangerous without a powerfeed. Having tried it without knowing it had a name, guessing it might help, I think I agree. I can easily picture the piece of wood flying into my face pretty fast. So, a backerboard...

climb cutting IS dangerous. I do it on purpose on the router table as a trick I learned for easily doing dovetails. by marking all four pieces of a drawer and keeping the same edge towards the router fence, you don't have to be within a few thousandths of exact center when you "center" the bit for adjusting the dovetail template. Just hold on for dear life when climb cutting. I was doing that last night and this morning. When I climb cut the pin boards I use a stop about 1/8" behind the router bit to limit the cut. It would be much too dangerous without the stop.