End grain mortise routing jig?

I need to put some mortises for some bed side rails into end grain. The railes ar 80" long, so a table won't work. Looking for ideas for a plunge router jig to help me out. THanks.

Stacey

Reply to
Stacey

I recently cut a bunch of mortises with a router using a simple template made from 1/4" MDF and a guide bushing with a 1/2" straight bit. Above half of them were cut into the ends of 2x4's. I think it would be pretty easy to clamp an 80" board into a bench vise standing on the floor and use this setup by standing on a stable step stool. I can post a picture on ABPW if you need one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Lay them out carefully, use a Forstner to drill out most of the waste and clean them up...you'll be done by the time you've fooled around w/ the jig... (imo, ymmv)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Stacey

Reply to
Stacey

While I'm sure it could be done 8 ft above floor level, it should be just the same if you clamped that bed rail to a workbench and plunged your router "sideways". As always, scrap stock testing would be a good idea.

Woodwork Safely, Jim Barry

WoodchuckCanuck

Clamp a short straightedge to the router base. Cut mortise. What could be simpler? Use a router bit that is the width of the mortise. Let the mortise go through on one edge (bottom of rail) so you do not have to plunge the bit in. Take small cuts. Good luck.

Reply to
Dave W

JIg at the

can be used with edge guide and plunge bit to produce end morticing. Has no length limitations. But why bother if you can more easily produce the tenon? rtmn

Reply to
pat

If your tools are sharp, soft maple should be no problem...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Or find a buddy with a Shopsmith. It makes a good horizontal boring jig.

Reply to
Steve Mellenthin

Dig a hole.

Reply to