How much light does a shop need?

Page 3 of 3
Keith, time to change your glasses: I did answer your "list" question already. (the is one small typo - I left out the word "on")
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I peeked. It's the third one from the left. Hope that helps. <grin>
Myxylplyk wrote:

You're probably just attuned to it. I can hear subtle little things that nobody else can too, but fortunately my Super Cheapass Lowball 2000 Ultra Crappy SuX shop lights aren't on the list. I like'em fine, which is good, 'cause that's all I could afford after my little stupid electrical mishap where I let the smoke out of every single one of my lights.
My lights put out a near defeaning hum, like the hum of a million locusts swarming all over my body. I was plagued by this whenever I was in the basement using those God forsaken lights. I thought it would drive me mad, in fact. Then I turned off all the fluorescents and went outside and the hum was still there, so I guess its not the lights at all !
So I installed it on Linux...

I intended to say, these are the cheapest shop lights I could buy--from Sears probably ten years ago. Less than $7.00 including two tubes. When they are all on I can just barely hear a faint hum. Turn off one bank and it is quiet. I'm hoping that they don't deteriorate over time.
Keith, I think being in your shop would be similar to the light I saw when I shorted the 3-phase circuit to ground when checking breaker numbers. After two weeks the thumb doesn't have any open cracks now, and the tan oval after-image disappeared in a couple of hours!
If the "General green" soaks up too much light, I have 5 outlets designated for lights, but unused, where I felt I didn't need more light.
-Doug
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:03:16 -0600, "bole2cant"

A huge variable is ceiling height. My 7' ceiling basement shop seems to need twice the light as a 9-10 foot ceiling would require.
The light never gets a chance to spread out with 7' ceilings.
Barry

how many lights in an area is determined by age,,,I have 8 8' lights plus task lights at the machines in a 24'x24' shop,,,my age 50 soon enough,,,,