How Many Inches of Straight Edge?

In January 2005 I started a thread entitled "How Straight is Straight" posing the question of whether woodworkers needed the strigthness found in Starrett straight edges or whether the straight edges from Lee Valley/Veritas were sufficient. I think the answer was that the Lee Valley/Veritas were plenty good 'nuf.

Now, a follow-up question. What length or lengths should a wood worker own? I think the two footers are sufficient. Am I right? What would the

50" straigt edge be used for? Tables?
Reply to
Never Enough Money

Mine's 49 inches: Perfect for 4 x 8 sheets.

Reply to
Pop

Drawing a line across a 4x8 plywood sheet comes to mind. Also, only have to move it once to draw a line down the length of a 4x8 sheet. A two footer would be moved at least 3 times.

Reply to
Vic Baron

I have a 6" -- a cabinet ruler that is. Is that good enough? :-))

Reply to
Will

I can use a strip of baltic birch for that sort of straight edge. I'm talking about those that are accurate to 0.001" per 2 feet, as sold by Lee Valley/Veritas. I think the primary use is checking flatness on joiner beds and finished surfaces.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Things bigger than 24".

Nova

Sorry I asked.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Fri, Feb 11, 2005, 1:36pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never=A0Enough=A0Money) asks: I think the two footers are sufficient. Am I right? What would the 50" straigt edge be used for? Tables?

Well, if you can't figure that out on your own, I sure can't help you.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Fri, Feb 11, 2005, 5:07pm snipped-for-privacy@devnull.spamcop.net (Pop) says: No, I won't get dressed. I'm retired!

This is NOT me, posting under an alias.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

What's the longest single piece of iron in your shop? Seems the best answer to me. And it sure isn't for woodworking use where it's going to be subject to drops/ accidental bends or anything similar. You can't cut as straight as it can touch, so why obsess?

Reply to
George

For machine set up I would love to have a 36" or 48" guaranteed straight to half a red cubic hair.

For general wooddorking (running a router/circle saw against) I like a 24"/30", a 36", a 50"/54" and a 120". Of course these are 6"(ish) wide rips off a sheet of MDF/plywood so I'm not looking for anything closer than

1/64" out of straight along the length.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

The longest I have is the 50" Veritas from Lee Valley. After testing it on a granite surface plate (8'), it was accurate to 0.001 over its length. I use it to setup my jointer and many other uses where accuracy is important. I use the 24" steel straight edge for most things but the 50" is a handy addition to my ever expanding tool inventory!

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

I really can't think of any reason to use such an acurate straight edge in the shop. Even a cheap 4 foot aluminum level will be adaquet for all jobs.

Reply to
TaskMule

I suppose you could use one to check the flatness of an infeed/outfeed on a joiner, but if the cast iron was not true there's little you could do to correct it anyway. I recommend saving the money spent on an acurate straight edge and buy something you can really use, like more clamps, router bits, etc.

Reply to
TaskMule

I agree there. Consider using a rule accurate to .001 to draw a line with a pencil tip that is off by much more than that. Doesn't make sense to me.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Thanks you, Dave, for not giving me a wise ass answer like some of the other posters. The Veritas straight edges are that expensive so I don't know why my question evokes such snide remarks. I tend to agree with you...

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I went with the 38" version myself. Just got it a week or so ago so can't comment on it's useful/useless - ness just yet. I figured for setting up the table saw, RAS, Jointer, etc... I just didn't need anything longer. Heck, the 24" would probably work for those things. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I always wondered what the 'C' in RCH stood for! Thanks! Now, I'm trying to imagine how one gets a cubic hair, red or otherwise... Of course, with my previous understanding of what 'C' stood for, I'm still trying to acquire some of those as well...

TWS

Reply to
TWS

I use 150" straight edges from Pinske .005 over the 12-ft length.

on 'cutting & shaping'

Smaller ones are available.

The 8-footer is .002" Plenty accurate for my needs.

Another solution, which I have suggested here before, is to find a supplier of standard aluminum extrusions. You pay for those by the pound. An 8-foot 1/4" x 6" cost me about 50 CAN$ and was very straight.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

I have some in my teeth! Want some? :D Mine are brown though, not red.

Reply to
Silvan