How Many Inches of Straight Edge?

Page 1 of 2
In January 2005 I started a thread entitled "How Straight is Straight" posing the question of whether woodworkers needed the strigthness found in Starrett straight edges or whether the straight edges from Lee Valley/Veritas were sufficient. I think the answer was that the Lee Valley/Veritas were plenty good 'nuf.
Now, a follow-up question. What length or lengths should a wood worker own? I think the two footers are sufficient. Am I right? What would the 50" straigt edge be used for? Tables?
Never Enough Money wrote:

Mine's 49 inches: Perfect for 4 x 8 sheets.
--
---
No, I won't get dressed.
Pop wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Also, only have to move it once to draw a line down the length of a 4x8 sheet. A two footer would be moved at least 3 times.
I can use a strip of baltic birch for that sort of straight edge. I'm talking about those that are accurate to 0.001" per 2 feet, as sold by Lee Valley/Veritas. I think the primary use is checking flatness on joiner beds and finished surfaces.

I really can't think of any reason to use such an acurate straight edge in the shop. Even a cheap 4 foot aluminum level will be adaquet for all jobs.

I agree there. Consider using a rule accurate to .001 to draw a line with a pencil tip that is off by much more than that. Doesn't make sense to me.
Vic
Vic Baron wrote:

It's not intended as a tool to draw a straight pencil line. It's for checking machine set ups. I have a combination machine with 66" jointer tables AND a table saw table top that needs to be coplanar with the jointer's outfeet table AND a sliding table that has to be coplanar with both. I have a 2' machinist straight edge that's great for some set ups but not for a combi.
charlie b
Never Enough Money wrote:

Things bigger than 24".
Sorry I asked.

What's the longest single piece of iron in your shop? Seems the best answer to me. And it sure isn't for woodworking use where it's going to be subject to drops/ accidental bends or anything similar. You can't cut as straight as it can touch, so why obsess?

I suppose you could use one to check the flatness of an infeed/outfeed on a joiner, but if the cast iron was not true there's little you could do to correct it anyway. I recommend saving the money spent on an acurate straight edge and buy something you can really use, like more clamps, router bits, etc.
Fri, Feb 11, 2005, 1:36pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (NeverEnoughMoney) asks: <snip> I think the two footers are sufficient. Am I right? What wouldthe 50" straigt edge be used for? Tables?
Well, if you can't figure that out on your own, I sure can't help you.
For machine set up I would love to have a 36" or 48" guaranteed straight to half a red cubic hair.
For general wooddorking (running a router/circle saw against) I like a 24"/30", a 36", a 50"/54" and a 120". Of course these are 6"(ish) wide rips off a sheet of MDF/plywood so I'm not looking for anything closer than 1/64" out of straight along the length.
UA100

Now, I'm trying to imagine how one gets a cubic hair, red or otherwise... Of course, with my previous understanding of what 'C' stood for, I'm still trying to acquire some of those as well...
TWS
TWS wrote:

I have some in my teeth! Want some? :D Mine are brown though, not red.
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:17:55 -0500, Silvan

Really looking for the red ones... TWS
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:17:55 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan

Wait, that's not hair, it's fur...
BACK AWAY FROM THE DOG AND PUT YOUR HANDS UP!
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
spake:

Aren't we _all_? <wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more>
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development