How far?

Nope, too many years of litigation involved. Not to mention we'd have to recreate the machine tool industry first.

Reply to
George

Not sure. Union says they want everyone to make a "living wage." or what's higher, and built into government contracts, "prevailing wage." Now does any family deserve two such wages while any one has none?

Hint, nepotism is rampant in the union halls.

Reply to
George

George notes:

Nah. If Bush gets re-elected and decides to wipe N. Korea off the map, you can reasonably assume China won't supply any more berets. Actually, that's not a good example. The Army found another supplier as soon as it read the "Made In China" tag.

Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter

Reply to
Charlie Self

George responds:

I dunno. Maybe one of those families without a living wage should pop up a person who can teach physics while raising kids and writing several textbooks. If you do the job, you should get the pay, regardless. If you're wealthy enough to give all or some back, then that is your decision to do make, not your employer's. It does not seem they're hiring others for the job, just underpaying those they do hire for reasons that have no relevancy to the job or the quality of work done.

When I was starting out, my first wife made considerably more money than I did. If a magazine editor had suggested paying me a lower fee because she made enough money to support us, I'd have pulled my article and sold it elsewhere.

Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter

Reply to
Charlie Self

If it got down to an impending war with China then you can bet that litigation would not be an issue--when Congress decides that the lawyers need to be told to take a hike the lawyers will take a hike, and when Congress figures out that once the Chinese take over they will all fail of re-election (the worst disaster that can possibly befall the universe, from the viewpoint of a politician, is that that politician fail of re-election) then they will decide to serve notice on the lawyers.

Constitutional Amendment--"no person practicing law in the United States may be paid more than fifty percent of the mean income of a machinist of equivalent experience and no person may practice law in the United States until they have demonstrated proficiency in the operation of machine tools."

As for recreating the machine tool industry, that's a more serious concern.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In the agricultural sense of course!

" snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net" wrote:

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

Weak pun on the like-named aliens from "Star Trek: The Next Generation", who inhabit large box-shaped vessels, and take-over anything within reach "Resistance is futile -- prepare to be assimilated."

Acronym for ig range etail iant.

Any of the so-called super-stores. As well as specifically the Orange- colored home-improvement one.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Japan, sure, but when did "Made in Germany" _ever_ mean second-rate?

Doug Miller

I used to work at a place that had that schedule. Ain't it great? A three-day weekend every other week!

Doug Miller

and that in the face of sanctions to prevent washington from building weapons of mass destruction....

Reply to
bridger

Maybe back when they and the Romans were going at it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

In the 50's.

Lots of cheap t> >I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Germany" and "Made in Japan" meant

Reply to
George

Careful. Next you'll be saying the "rich" have a right to their earnings rather than an obligation to return them to society!

Reply to
George

George responds:

Sorry, George, but getting paid what a job is worth is a liberal idea.

Too often, the rich want you to work for zip, for the privilige of kissing the hems of their money bags.

Charlie Self "Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air." Jack Benny

Reply to
Charlie Self

On that same subject, were you aware that there is a Rockler Woodworking/Hardware store on the N bound feeder street of SW FWY between Buffalo Speedway and Kirby?

Took my youngest to lunch today and had to park away off from target restaurant in the same strip ... ended up walking past a shop with Jet woodworking tools in the front window?? ... for a second there I thought I was in the wrong time warp.

Had no idea a Rockler existed less than 2 miles from my house ... said they had been there since December. Lordy, I can feel the crowbar prying away already.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah we got us a damn HD and OSH =BORG, very poor with hand tools like classic ones. Some sweet hardware stores went out of biz because of them.

"Learned Hardware ... come back - come back!"

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Charlie a LOT of that went on was also based on the petty envy of men, as in "she's no longer available so we'll hire another single gal". These days it's not as bad.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Yeah, sure. And the party decides what the job is worth?

Sorry.

Reply to
George

So what happened to "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"?

Reply to
J. Clarke

George states in response:

Where did you read that? Not in anything I wrote. The job market decides the wage, as it should, but getting equal pay for equal work is sensible, regardless of who, or what, determines the wage. To me, if a woman can do the work, it is senseless to pay her less because she's married, but that has been, and still sometimes is, a reasonably consistent policy of employers since the Industrial Age began.

Are you saying that because someone has another wage earner in the house, they should get less than the single person for doing exactly the same work at the same level and doing it just as well?