How do you make a Power Cord Spring?

I posted this in another group and was asked to move it here... The saw is a Sears Craftsman Computerized Radial Arm Saw model: 118198610

I am replacing the power cord on a Radial Arm Saw and unfortuately, the

manufacturer does not just supply the cord but you have to buy the cord

with the motor. The power cord is coiled (like a spring) so as the saw

moves across the arm, the cord is stretched and as it moves back, the cord contracts into a tight spring and stays out of the way. I plan on

getting an extension cord to replace the bad one, but the question is: How do you make a straight cord to contain a permanent coil?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Brad

You don't. That cord was manufactured that way. You can try to coil it around a pipe to shape the coils and they will exhibit some small amount of recoil, but it won't be like you are used to. You can afix (tape) a spring to the cord near where it secures to the motor and back somewhere near where the motor normally sits and that should work.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You don't.

Try a search for "koil cord".

The cord is a commercial item.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You can order one from Whitney Blake.

--

was the first one I found after googling for coiled power cord.

Gerald Ross Cochran, GA

3 out of 4 Americans make up 75% of the population.
Reply to
Gerald Ross

Please provide supporting documentation.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You buy one. These things are available (in the UK anyway) as coiled kettle leads.

Or else you take a normal piece of extra-flexible powertool flex, coil it loosely by hand, and run it over a tensioned wire or length of elastic to hold it in place.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thank you everyone for helping out with your comments. I ended up going to the site Gerald mentioned above. They were pleasant on the phone to deal with and will ship out today. The only thing is that I will have to splice the wire because I wasn't going to pay for a special run of a single cord ($100 setup fee).

Again, thanks for all the help.

Reply to
Brad

1 out of 4 Americans are mentally unstable. Look at your three closest friends and if they seem normal then it is you.
Reply to
Brad

I must be sane then. I don't have 3 close friends.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I know you already found one, but just for the sake of speculation, I wonder if a guy could pull braided wire through a coiled air hose to get a similar effect. It's almost certainly not up to a standard electrical code, but it might do in a pinch...

Reply to
Prometheus