How do you clean tablesaw blade?

Page 2 of 2

Mainly I use the isolator switch.

Some saw blade cleaners are a lot like oven cleaner. I tried that one one on my saw blades (an Oldham) and it took all of the writing off of it. I've since bought some CMT saw blade cleaner (citrus based?) but I haven't tried it yet.
Bob S
Bob Summers wrote:

Not surprising, since lye will take paint off anything.
On 02 Jan 2004 20:11:21 EST, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob Summers) wrote:

The oven cleaner will remove the CMT lettering too (but so what). Mark down the information before cleaning the blade.
I wait till all my blades are dirty, then I hang them on wires on the sides of my car. I drive through the carwash. Turn them over, then drive through again. Works great. Needless to say, I get a lot of stares. Good luck. Joe
I can't believe the rest of you guys were so damn serious.
Be sure to check-out our webpages... http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

I've been using the Oxisolv cleaner. Works well for me.
n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) wrote in

I bought a bottle of stuff called, CMT formula 2050, at highland hardware, safe for your hands, and works like a champ, spray on, and wait a minute or two and wipe off, and the pitch is gone...I saved a few tablesaw blades using it...
Hope this helps...
DCH
check out my site @ http://dchaynie.home.mindspring.com
I see there is a lot of opinions about not using oven spray which is just NaOH (lye). I'm not sure I believe the statements about it being bad for carbide tipped blades. Lye won't hurt steel, and I don't think it will do anything to brass or the brazing used to set the carbide. However I think they coat the carbide with something to help braze it to the steel. If anything is attacked by lye it would be that coating. Lye won't hurt a high carbon on moly chrome blade but it sure will get it clean. If you have a mess using it, then you aren't doing something right.
OTOH, Simple Green sure does dissolve a lot of stuff easily. Works great on the car to get hardened road products off the bottom of steel panel and trim. So, I have no doubt it probably works great to clean saw blades. The only problem is that the smell is pretty penetrating.
Rob wrote:

I use Simple Green. It's fast. And, easy to get around the corner at the grocery store.
Roy

I clean my table saw blade by placing it in a round plastic auto oil pan, spraying it with oven cleaner, waiting 5 minutes, brushing with an old toothbrush and rinsing well in clear water. I clean it outdoors. The quality of a rip cut is (surprisingly) improved after cleaning.
Use straight Simple Green and let it soak for a while
Some folks say they have good results with Oven Cleaners, but I tend to be leery of strong bases (like lye) which is pretty much what most oven cleaners are