How do I prep this cabinet for enamel finish coat?

Hi, First time woodworker. I built a cabinet out of furniture-grade plywood, which I edge-joined 3/4" oak to, to give a finished edge on all sides. It also has a pine decorative board on top, with oak and cherry appliques glued down, and it's trimmed with urethane dentil molding.
It came out nice - but now I want to paint it in an antique white enamel. Since it is made from a bunch of different materials, I want to make sure I prime it the right way for the finish coat. I'll be using a spray gun with a pressure cup, which has given me good results with heavier viscosity paints (like enamel) in the past.
So, what is the best sealing/priming material to spray on first? Someone suggested "white shellac". I want something that will give a good leveling undercoat, which will hide the various species of wood, and give a nice consistent surface for my finish coat.
Any recommendations as to the best stuff to use would be appreciated, thanks.
-Randy
Randy MacKenna wrote:

You need an easy sanding undercoater. One that you can sand smooth as a baby's ass and reapply/sand until *ALL* surface imperfections are gone, then shoot your paint. Check for same at autobody stores...
BTW, when you say "enamel" you mean oil paint, right? Not <shudder> latex.
dadiOH wrote:

Thanks...I want to keep the build-up to a minimum. I found this, which I think I'm going to try:
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID
-Randy
I used latex on poplar, wife distressed with sander, I topcoated with WB Varathane gloss and it has served us well in daily abuve for 5-6 years without a hitch.
On 28 Nov 2005 15:45:16 -0800, "Randy MacKenna"

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:05:14 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

Yabbut -distressed- furniture is _SUPPOSED_ to look horrible.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications