How do I prep this cabinet for enamel finish coat?

Hi, First time woodworker. I built a cabinet out of furniture-grade plywood, which I edge-joined 3/4" oak to, to give a finished edge on all sides. It also has a pine decorative board on top, with oak and cherry appliques glued down, and it's trimmed with urethane dentil molding.

It came out nice - but now I want to paint it in an antique white enamel. Since it is made from a bunch of different materials, I want to make sure I prime it the right way for the finish coat. I'll be using a spray gun with a pressure cup, which has given me good results with heavier viscosity paints (like enamel) in the past.

So, what is the best sealing/priming material to spray on first? Someone suggested "white shellac". I want something that will give a good leveling undercoat, which will hide the various species of wood, and give a nice consistent surface for my finish coat.

Any recommendations as to the best stuff to use would be appreciated, thanks.

-Randy

Reply to
Randy MacKenna

You need an easy sanding undercoater. One that you can sand smooth as a baby's ass and reapply/sand until *ALL* surface imperfections are gone, then shoot your paint. Check for same at autobody stores...

BTW, when you say "enamel" you mean oil paint, right? Not latex.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
nospambob

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:05:14 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, nospambob quickly quoth:

Yabbut -distressed- furniture is _SUPPOSED_ to look horrible.

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks...I want to keep the build-up to a minimum. I found this, which I think I'm going to try:

Randy MacKenna