How Can I stop Rust on Table Saw ?

I live in a northern climate where it is very cold in winter and then when spring arrives the top of my table saw and band saw have rusted somewhat. I have tried petroleum jelly, wax etc. but I still get the same problem each spring. Is there any product or procedure that would prevent this problem ? Thanks, Bob snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca

Boeshield or TopCote
WOOD Mag has a really good article on rust preventers and cleaners in the current issue. You should check that out.
Also, DAGS and you'll see that this discussion has come up in the past - interstingly, it sort of reflects the report in WOOD....
Nick B
Bob
If you are not going to use the equipment during the cold months, BoeShield T9 is the choice
John

I have been using a product by CRC named Table Guard, so far I am pleased the top remains very smooth and well protected. They claim their product leaves no residue on the wood. Try this link for more information. http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?3@89 .
If you're going to use it during the winter, a good coat of car wax, not polish, will keep the condensation from forming on the top. It will also help the wood slide across the table better too.

NO!! Car wax is a Bad Idea. Most car waxes contain silicone, which causes problems with many wood finishes. Use a non-silicone paste wax instead, such as Johnson's Paste Wax or Minwax Paste Finishing Wax.

exactly what I meant, I use an old fashioned wax, and it just happens to be Johnson's paste wax.

Car wax isn't the same thing.

I would be concerned about the amount of humidity you have in the springtime. Protecting your TS for rust is good but I would attack the cause of the problem. You have not mentioned where your shop is located but if it's the basement I would install a dehumidifier for cutting down on the humidity level.
This would also be good for the rest of your home. I have a small unit that runs when needed and its very surprising to see how much it will collect. I have mine hooked up now so it releases the water to the sump pump, so I don't have to worry about emptying it all the time.
Daniel
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in message

I use a Paste Wax. However I also cover the saw table when the saw is not in use. I have used a piece of plywood, and have currently got cardboard on it. The idea is to keep the humid air from coming into direct contact with the table surface.
Daniel Martin wrote:

Parafin has always done a great job for me, but I live in SE Texas and have a different climate. Unfortunately for my tools, I live close to the beach and salty air is great for making piles of rust out of perfectly good tools.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

if not then lithium grease works great for storing machined tables
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:02:40 +0000, bmck wrote:

light coating of oil works here just south of the artic circle
I'm sort of a newbie, but I've just been spraying a fine layer of wd40 on the top then wiping off so there is not a lot of residue. After all wd-40 was designed to repel water.
It may not last as long as the other solutions, but I have no rust on the saw or drill press and love the smell! :)

I have had very good results for years now with a light coat of ATF. Very cheap and it works.
Barry Lennox
Rust never sleeps...........
Barry Lennox wrote:

Barry Lennox wrote:

What do you do? Grind them into a paste of some sort and slather on? How many ATF officers does it take to stop rust on a saw? Is it sufficient to just lop off an arm or two, or do you have to grind up the whole ATF officer?