how can I separate 2 boxes that accidentally are shellaced together?

I have 2 shaker boxes that my father gave me. One was stacked on top of the other, and now they're stuck together by the shellac. I assume it's because it's been so hot recently, because they've been like that for a while.

Any hints on how to gently get them apart? I haven't tried using that much force, since I'm afraid I'll damage them.

thanks much for any advice or hints! Sylvia

Reply to
sylvia

If it is just shellac you could use a little alcohol to dissolve the shellac where they are stuck. I wonder though if is is shellack and not some other finish.

Stuart Johnson Red Oak, Texas

Reply to
Stuart Johnson

Hair dryer?

Take a touch of alcohol. Rubbing will do, and rub a rag moistened with it on some half-hidden spot. If it loosens the finish, it's shellac.

If shellac, and warming doesn't do it, you can try to loosen them with shellac, but now you're in the refinishing mode, not the level and leave it mode heat would allow.

If not shellac, might just be sticky oil. Mineral spirits should go far to loosening.

Reply to
George

Thanks for all the advice. It ended up being a hidden knot in the wood where some sap had come out in this really hot weather.

Reply to
sylvia