Hot Collet on Porter Cable 7518 Router

I just got my PC 7618 router back from the shop. They replaced two bearings under warranty because the collet was getting too hot to hold. You guessed it . . . no change. I ran the router for 3 minutes with no load and the collet was hot just like before. I guess I'll just run it that way and stop for a break every time I change bits.

DonkeyHody "There's a difference between doing things right, and doing the right things."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Customer satisfaction. Can't duplicate the problem but go ahead and replace the most likely low cost part to keep the customer happy, its better than sending back something with a note saying "no problem found". Do it in the computer industry all the time.

Reply to
Eugene

Kinda makes you wonder why they bothered changing bearings :-)

If they tried it before to see what the problem was, then gave it a test drive after their 'fix' they would've seen no change. So I wonder why they a) changed bearings, b) sent it back to you :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Ballard

... and that is the newspeak/politically correct way of telling you, the consumer, that "Although our engineers have lost a few points on their IQ of late, their hands are tied by the clever MBA's who cheated their way through undergrad work, but can certainly speel cheep".

Reply to
Swingman

Its the new manglement (as opposed to Old Skool). I'm picky though, I fond ways to improve anything, maybe its the Old Skool Engineer in me.

Reply to
Eugene

On 28 Jul 2004 16:33:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (DonkeyHody) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Sounds like "Run it till it blows up, then get a new one".......or go back and speak.

No. Run it for 3 minutes then attach it to some guy's sensitive parts until they fix it. (In fact you may not need to run it! )

This IS PC right? Not some Chinese B&D clone! You PAID for this!

Tell THEM that.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

In their defense, this is an electric motor repair/rewind shop which happens to also be an "authorized PC repair center" That guy may have never seen a PC 7518 before. Customer complains of hot collet, he guesses bad bearings, orders parts, waits for them to come in, replaces bearings. He fires it up, it goes round and round, makes appropriate noises. Collet still hot? He already changed the bearings, must be supposed to get hot. Probably just an overanxious customer.

DonkeyHody "I'd rather expect the best of people and be wrong than expect the worst and be right."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Fair enough. Any chance you'd want to ask him if he'd talked to anybody before putting new bearings in? I wonder why he thought to do that?

There's a regional PC factory service center not far from my house. When I took my 89x motor to him (same hot collet problem), guess what he did before anything else then brought the motor back out to tell me he doesn't know what's wrong? :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Ballard
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Made a lot of noise in the back room to hide the sounds of him making a pot of tea no doubt.....tgif

Jon~

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Well, I guess you're right, sort of. I was feeling unusually generous that day. But my fight is with Porter Cable, not the local shop. They can only install the bearings PC sends. And it's not like he has a brand new 7518 behind the counter he can hand over to make me happy. I'm taking my fight back to PC. Just point me toward the windmill!

DonkeyHody "I'd rather expect the best from people and be wrong than expect the worst and be right."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Here's the email I sent to Porter Cable Customer Service.

DonkeyHody

Please refer to case number 1209046. I took my PC 7518 router to Flannigan Electric in Jackson, Mississippi and explained to them that the collet was getting hot. They replaced two shaft bearings under warranty. Upon returning home, I ran the router for 3 minutes with no load. The collet was again too hot to hold, just like before. I suspect that PC has gotten a bad batch of bearings, or changed suppliers. The local repair shop can only install the bearings PC sends.

Please realize that the person who buys a 7518 is a fairly serious woodworker. I have 3 other routers including another Porter Cable. I've never needed to wear gloves before to change router bits, and I certainly don't expect to simply live with this problem after I paid for a premium piece of equipment. Niether do I expect to keep taking off work to drive 20 miles to a repair shop to have them keep my router for 2 weeks and return it in the same condition.

Please have one of your technicians bench test 7518's until he finds one that runs cool. Box that router up and send it to me. I promise I'll send the old one back to you.

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Reply to
Robert L. Wilson

Hello there,

Who did you buy it from and how long ago?

I work for a large PC dealer and depending on the circumstances we will just RX (send back to PC, or any company) a product we think is a lemon. Sometimes you just get a bad product that cannot be fixed. This happened to me recently on a PC flooring nailer that was blowing seals. Twice to the repair center, no better. I just replaced it with a new one (out of warranty) and the new one is fine. Same with a Milwaukee Sawzall recently. Repair center said it was fine, I knew it wasn't, guy got a new Sawzall 4 months out of warranty. In both cases I knew both customers, they buy all their tools from me, so I knew it was the tool and not the guy. It really pays to buy your tools from the local guy, not for eight bucks less on Amazon.

Depending on where you bought it from, just take it back for a new one, in or out of warranty. The local mom and pop will be more inclined to do this as they can and will be more creative with warranty issues than the high school kid at the local Borg who does not have a vested interest in keeping a customer.

David, who should not be saying this in public...

Reply to
David F. Eisan

"David F. Eisan" wrote in news:K__Oc.507$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Yabbut, that's why it's worth the eight bucks difference. I'm not 'in the business', but I want the local pro dealers to be there.

In my business, the differentiation is ALL in the perception of service, over the long haul. New companies, with great innovation, are told to 'go hook up' with stronger, established partners.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"> Who did you buy it from and how long ago?

Don't say "I told you so." I bought the router online in December from Woodworker Supply because it was $249 including shipping instead of the $350 I'd have to pay locally. The only place I knew about locally that stocked a 7518 went out of business three years ago. Now, I'd have to special order one AND pay $350.

Woodworker Supply tells me they don't mess with warranties; contact the manufacturer. I knew the risk up front. The savings/risk ratio seemed worth it. I'm not crying over my purchase decision, I just want PC to make good.