Homemade pin router and thickness sander

Just a brief announcement that I've published an album showing my home-made thickness sander and a pin router attachment for my router table:

.

They're not wonderful works to be proud of, but they are functional and that's all that matters to me.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

How's that homemade sander working for you? I've been thinking of making one for a while.

Reply to
Prometheus

Pretty well, actually. I've done a couple of veneers down to sub 1mm, and using 60 grit paper, carved a twisted chain-sawn billet into a nice plank, which is on the way to becoming a guitar. Gotta be happy with that!

Have to be careful to fit the feed pressure to the width of what you're feeding. A 2" wide piece doesn't want much pressure at all, or you'll get a varying depth of cut and an uneven surface. A mechanical feeder would clearly be better here, but hey, for $AU50 all up, it's hard to complain.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Nice job. I take it the feeding works by the piece being sanded having to move "up hill" so to speak. Is this correct.

Reply to
K & C Hunter

No - it requires hand feeding because the drum is trying to spit the work out at you. There doesn't seems to be a danger of it grabbing and forcibly throwing it at me, but you certainly can't let go while it's running. I use push sticks for the final part of the cut.

Reply to
Clifford Heath