Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Page 7 of 8

[snip]

ACE (San Jose off Alma), TruValue (Cupertino), Southern Lumber (San Jose off Almaden), or the contractor's lumber yard (Pine Cone?) in Sunnyvale off Maude will have the grades and knowledgeable employees necessary for one-time purchasing of quality products...
The Ranger

I have had a lot of problem with Hillman screws and fasteners breaking easily. HD has a lot of Hillman product on the shelf.

All is relative. Grade bolt, pilot hole, lengh of wrench handle, strength of operator, number of beers, etc. Frankly, I was surprised to hear of such a thing as a 1/4" lag bolt.
http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/lag-bolt-pilot-hole.htm http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/stainless-bolts/SSLag_bolts14.htm
nb

wow.... they rec a 7/32 pilot hole for hardwood!
The stainless fasteners link seems to have good prices.
--
EA

> http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html
> http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/stainless-bolts/SSLag_bolts14.htm
Jon Danniken wrote:

If I need any quantity of hardware I drive right past Lowes and go 5 miles further to the good old hardware store. I'm not so sure the low grade stuff is any better, but it's surely less expensive! And if I buy the grade 5 or 8 stuff, I know it's also a lot less expensive. Just last week I was buying some 1/2" x 4" bolts and mentioned to the cashier (who is also one of the brothers that own the store) how I passed Lowes to get there. They were $1.18 and he knocked off the 18 cents to make them $1 each. Later stopped at Lowes for something else and checked their bolt prices. The same 1/2" x 4" bolt at Lowes, $2.34.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId5753-37672-880060&lpage=none

Should have been using a grade 8 bolt.

Not necessarily. I had a similar problem, likewise, an alternator on a van engine. In my case, the entire top of the alternator hung off the extended bolt shaft. I changed to a grade 8 bolt and it snapped right off from vibration within a couple days, the grade 8 being too brittle. Went back to a grade 5.
nb
Stormin Mormon wrote:

'Ya know, I sheared off a 1/4" machine bolt I bought from HD a half a dozen years ago. Same deal, was tightening it up, just past snug, when it turned to butter.
I figured it was a fluke, but maybe this last go round will be enough to convince me to steer clear of the bright shiny objects in the grabit bins.
Jon

I had that happen to me helping my friend build a deck using bolts from the big box store. We snapped two of them off. Thats when I turned my friend on to Howes Hardware. Best place I know of for industrial quality fastenerd..
Jimmie
jaymelone had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Home-Depot-1-4-Lag-Screw-412326-.htm : Guys, just like you wouldn't buy a water heater from Home Depot, I wouldn't recommend their hardware, either. The quality is sub-standard and pricing is through the roof.
I'm opening a site online where you'll be able to find any fastener in any material for any job. We'll also have some pretty cool features to help you plan your projects and buy the right stuff, and the right amount, too! We'll even help you contractors out there engage with and grow your customer base. We have a lot in the works.
I'll write up a new post once the site is up and give you all the address. I'd even appreciate a few of you helping me test the site out. I'll definitely make it worth your while.
In the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
Jay -- FastenSoft, LLC
Jon Danniken wrote:

-------------------------------------
jaymelone the worthless SPAMMER wrote:

You're not only a SPAMMING shill for the SUCKO company, you're now going to further SPAM this group with your own SPAM?
Do us all a favor and go play in the freeway.
Jon

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Home-Depot-1-4-Lag-Screw-412326-.htm
allen head capscrews, 8tpi, with left hand, double lead buttress threads, polished to a surface finish of 50nm and having a total indicated runout of .0002" and some plastic wing nuts for same. :)
basilisk

They are 79 at Home Depot, but I think the Lowes 35 mile up the road has them for only 77 so take the trip to find out for sure before you buy and waste money.
<snip>
Try Ace Hardware. Much higher quality, and often cheaper.
    -- Andy Barss

Ace has consistently had the highest prices for any item you can mention, unless it's on the clearance rack, and then, it's just under what the other stores sell it for every day. Surely you jest.
Steve

selection and service varies widely from location to location.
I have two close to me. The one that has been there forever has an extensive selection of fasteners, cheaper than big box stores and much better quality. The one that opened recently has less selection, surly help and more expensive prices.
Guess which one I go to.
A case in point. I needed some deck screws recently to do a fence repair. The BORG only had the deck screws in those expensive little boxes. And they did not have the sizes I needed either. And they were quite expensive as well. I went to the Ace Hardware, got three different sizes of deck screws from the bulk bins and paid for a pound of fasteners.
And their deck screws are tough little bastards too. I have used them for several repairs. I probably saved at least $20 over Home Depot prices on this job alone. And as been pointed out elsewhere recently, there is no telling what kind of quality you get when paying the big bucks at the BORG.
I miss the TIN Barn that moved out. It had a fantastic nut and bolt selection. a set of trays that was 5' x 80'. You want what? - down there after stainless and before xxxx.
Martin
Lee Michaels wrote:

: wrote: :> <snip>:> :> Try Ace Hardware. Much higher quality, and often cheaper.:> :> -- Andy Barss : Ace has consistently had the highest prices for any item you can mention, : unless it's on the clearance rack, and then, it's just under what the other : stores sell it for every day. Surely you jest.
They're independently owned and managed, and may be different where you are. Here (Southern AZ), I have one a couple miles away which has a pretty deep stock of decent hardware (grade 5 included), along with a billion things you'd never find at HD or Lowe's (cotter pins, motor shaft keys, brushes for electric motors,...). if I need something really obscure, there's one about 6 miles away which is enormous, and has pretty much anything I've ever needed that isn't made of a strange metal.
Both have nice, quite knowledgable staff.
And the prices are, for all the items I have compared anyway, cheaper than HD for better stuff. No kidding.
-- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

Is that the one on Grant Road?
Where is the other one? There's one up here off Cortaro Road, but it is one of the newer, more "boutique" types, not a lot of obscure stuff.

Rob Leatham