Homasote building

Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels in his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made in his workshop, including the roof panels. This building was circular in shape with many panels bolted together. Each panel frame was mitered to a certain angle so that when bolted together they formed a tight joint. The building was erected on a concrete slab and was used as a small hunting lodge for many years. It was approximately 25-30 feet across. I have been searching for the plans for this type of a building for a long time and have not been successful in finding them. I think they were in a Popular Mechanics or that sort of magazine somewhere in the 1950's. Any help will be greatly appreciated. This was my first posting to a news group. Did I do anything wrong.
Clint
I don't know if it is quite what you are looking for but do a google search for "dome home" and you might get some ideas.

You left off a question mark at the very end, Clint. A _most_ serious transgression! ;)
It sounds like a geodesic dome. Sift through these results - should help: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=geodesic+dome+homasote

al la Buckminster Fuller...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller
...recall hearing and watching him talk about his geodesic domes in college some gazillions years ago. :~)
John

I remember a professor who worked with Bucky saying that a geodesic dome is only good for two things - reading comic books and lying down. He gave some mean-ass critiques!
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:19:28 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

The Bucky dome is no longer on campus at SIU, it has been moved and has been and still is under renovation.
Mark
Thanks for the responses, but the building was not made of geodesic panels. The panels were rectangular in shape and were set side by side and bolted together to make a circular building. The panels were approximately 4 x 8 and some had windows. Clint

clint,
I think that today instead of homosote, it would be built out of wood framed panels with foam infilling. There are commercial modular wall and roof panels made, not sure if there are directions for DIY.
Old Guy

says...

Some other grammar nazi mentioned the lack of a question mark. :-)
My Dad built a shed with homasote siding in 1964 or so. It is still in my Mom's back yard, the homasote is badly rotted, but my Dad built an industrial-grade roof that is still in pretty good shape. Mom wants us (her children) to tear it down, but the roof is so good it's tempting to re-side it with something else (T111?) The shed is about 6 x 8 feet, 2x4 frame, room enough for a couple of lawn mowers and lots of yard tools. The squirrels tunnel through the homasote at will.
Depending on climate, you might get 30 years out of it (painted, sheltered by a roof overhang.
--
John

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 15:49:18 +0000, clint wrote:

I have some old FPL plans from the '70s that include plans for a round home made mostly from plywood. Maybe 1200sf built on a slab. Scott.
--
Registered linux user 451742