Hold my beer - I'm gonna try try something...

Page 4 of 5
Morris Dovey wrote:

Make the boxes out of HardiPlank - or another form of concrete.
Another choice would be creosoted planks. You see pier pilings made out of the stuff that lasts generations.
Add pictures here
✖

Needed a quick and easy reflective surface for a plywood lamp enclosure. Used foil duct tape, worked beautifully. Burnished it smooth with a paint paddle wrapped in cloth to prevent scratching. Only prob is slight blistering from heat, more cosmetic than disastrous. The tape would probably have adhered better if I primed the plywood with shellac or similar gloss finish.

Thicker gauge metal, riveted to the ply.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/9/2010 9:14 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

I received a lot of good suggestions on this covering alternative box construction materials, alternative metal choices, and adhesives.
The alternatives to wood didn't strike me as a good idea because of their lack of stability when subjected to heat. I liked the idea, but for now I think I'll stick with wood.
I received multiple adhesive suggestions, and so I think I may try all of the most attractive. I did rule out the aerosol and brush in favor of roller application in order to produce a thin, uniform coating.
Silicon bronze seemed like it might be a good idea until I tried to find suppliers of the stuff in foil form. As a general rule, I avoid single-source products - but I couldn't identify even a single source. I've just ordered a 20"x100' roll of the 0.002" stainless steel, and I'll see how well that works.
Actually, I guess it'd /better/ work out - my two most recent sales prospects liked the "full metal jacket" idea so well they ordered without even /seeing/ the final product!
Thanks to all who posted and e-mailed suggestions!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 1/26/2010 1:43 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Well, the stainless arrived and it isn't much like I'd expected...
I ordered Type 321, which is a stainless/titanium alloy good for temperatures to 1800°F. I'd expected something pretty much like kitchen aluminum foil, and this stuff is more like armor plate! I don't think wrinkles are going to be a problem, and even at only 0.002" it feels almost structural.
Woodpeckers beware! :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Where did you get it? If it's that strong, I think you may be onto something with that woodpecker comment. My storage shed may just get a coat of armor. :-) At least some strategic locations on it.

Rob Leatham
✖
On 1/29/2010 10:19 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Here's the page I ordered from:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=SY326-1520
If you'd like a small (very small!) piece to check out, e-mail me your address and I'll send it off.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

So how many of these very small pieces are you distributing before you don't have enough left for your project? ;~)
John
Add pictures here
✖

I only offered one - but if anyone else wants a business card size sample they're invited to snail-mail a SASE with a (US) dollar bill tucked inside.
I have almost twice as much of the foil as I need to produce the solar panels now in the production queue, so I don't /think/ I'm creating a problem for myself...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

And you can recoup your cost by just selling just 9 linear feet of the foil at 2"x4" for USD1 :-)
scott
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/30/2010 3:16 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I hadn't done any arithmetic - I just figured that the hassle factor of sending off a SASE plus "not free" would hold the amount of cutting to a minimum. :)
I suspect I might use up more than one pair of scissors if I needed to cut 9' of this stuff into small pieces...
...and it'll probably horrify the metalheads to hear that I plan to bandsaw the roll into thirds as the first step. :->
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On 1/30/2010 9:42 PM, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Horizontal bandsaw to cut the (wrapped in tape) 20" roll into thirds, then I'll going to try cutting those strips to length with shop scissors. If that doesn't work, I'll use aircraft snips.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Beware of chromed tools and titanium do not play well together. When I was in the Air Force, they shipped out all our tool kits to have the chrome removed before the F-16s or F-15s arrived.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖
Markem wrote: ...

In what way?
✖

Degraded the titanium is what we peons on the flight line were told. Maybe aircraft grade problem, do not know, ya do as told generally in the military.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

Most peculiar, momma.... This has piqued my interest. I had heard of that before... a guy at Orenda who was rebuilding a 7 MW CTU for me was talking about that.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm wondering if anybody really knows (and whether it really makes any difference). Some years ago, I was working in a shop that was making a laser for the military, the body of which was titanium. We were not to allow any steel to come in contact with the titanium. All cutters were carbide, vise jaws made from aluminum, deburr files were diamond and the parts were not even set on a steel worktable. They claimed degradation of the titanium. I have machined lots of titanium for commercial aircraft and no such precautions were taken (or specified by the buyer). I wonder what the military knows that Boeing doesn't. Hard to believe it's much.
Add pictures here
✖

Well in the land of $600 hammers and really expensive toilets who really knows.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖
Remember tiny iron flecks might just cause a problem if loose. If it touches Al, it might burn in oxygen rich or chemically contaminate something else. Iron is death in a fab line. You would not believe the issues and isolations needed for ferro-mag IC's and the like.
Remember MIL spec is under NASA and Commercial and user specs are beneath those of MIL.
Martin
CW wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Titanium exposed to minute concentrations of certain other metals becomes =very= hard and *BRITTLE*. All well and good if the entire piece is treated uniformly, but can cause all sorts of problems if it is a 'spot' treatment.
This is a characteristic of 'nearly pure' titanium, that is not shared by most titanium compounds.
Some of the metals that cause this behavior in microscopic quantities, applied to the surface, can be used in macroscopic quantities -- making titanium alloys -- that do not have the same characteristics.
IIRC, skin panels for "Blackbird" were 'unrepairable' for this reason -- complete replace of an entire panel necessary.
Add pictures here
✖