Ho, Swingman

You mentioned a "birds mouth" joint and I tried to post what shows below but haven't seen it. Is there a compendium of joints anywhere? Tage Frid index to book 1 doesn't list it. Does birds mouth joint have another name, like bridle joint and slip joint?

Your suggesti>Don't discount the birds mouth joint for your planter.

Reply to
nospambob

Check the Lee Valley catalog. They sell a router bit just for that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A bird's mouth is the notch cut in a rafter to receive the top plate of the wall.

figure M)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Yup, that's the only one I know of by that name. I'm not quite sure how that works with a planter...

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Semantics ... much like the term "dado", which has a completely different meaning to a classical architect than it does to a woodworker.

Named primarily, and conveniently, because of the way the joint looks, whether it be in frame construction, or planter boxes. A birds mouth router bit cuts a bird's mouth shaped joint that is perfect for spars, barrel shapes, and other multi-sided, hollow objects.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm having a hard time vusualizing this, bear with me. It sounds like a half-dovetail, sort of. Is that the corner joinery on the planter?

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

kind of. think if you set up a dado stack, tilted the arbor on your saw and plowed a groove down the edge of a board that the edge of another board just fit into. now the boards are joined in a trough. do a bunch of them together and they wrap all the way around into a tube.

Reply to
bridger

Look here;

Edwin Pawlowski

Lee Valley router bit and example.

R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Reply to
nospambob

Yup, makes much more sense now. I was thinking of a square planter. Thanks. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax