Hitachi M12V 1/2" 3 1/4 HP Plunge Router

Anyone have any experience with a Hitachi M12V 1/2" 3 1/4 HP Plunge Router? Appreciate hearing any comments.
Thanks Mike B

It's reasonably priced for what you get. It's not as refined as some of the other more expensive routers, but it's a powerful, reliable no-frills workhouse. I've had one for a few years. The only qualm I have is that it doesn't include a 1/4" collet, nor is one available (at least there were none last time I checked). You can use 1/4" bits through the use of a reducer bushing, but it's a mickey mouse approach and often results in slippage and bit wander.

I love my Hitachi. I think it is the best value in a large plunge router. I have had no problems with the 1/4" bits slipping in the sleeve however I usually use 1/2" bits. My router came with a screw mechanism which allows fine-tuning the height when used in the router table. Although the process is slow, it works. The router also came with a 1/2" straight bit and an edge guide - at a price lower than the competition which didn't include these accessories. For me, it was no contest!
Brian
Brian,
Line up the slot in the 1/4" adapter with the slot in the 1/2" collet before tightening and that should stop slippage. Until someone else pointed that out to me I once had a 1/8" straight cutting bit come up through the work and slice up the push block I was using! Glad it wasn't my hand.
Andy

Hey - you sent the reply to the wrong guy. I was just replying to the original post. I DO line up the slots and I do NOT have slippage. But then, I usually use 1/2" bits wherever available.
Brian
Go here for the BIG picture on that router:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/menu2.htm
nevems2 wrote:

I like mine. I keep it mounted in my router table. Its noiser and may not have all the bells and whistles of a Porter Cable, but for the price it is a great router. Probably the best 3HP+ router to be had for the cost (Currently $159 from Amazon).
Joey

Like others have said: Buy one immediately. Gut the springs out of the plunger sleeves. Throw springs in trash. Put router in a router table. Never take it out.
Imo, It's not very user friendly as a hand-held plunge router. The plunge mechanism is the roughest I've used, it's loud, etc., etc... It's a pig, but a very hard-working pig. :)
Do a google "groups-advanced" search on this router. There was a lengthy thread here about 4 or 5 months ago. Also there are several web sites out there showing shop-built improvements for it.
Ordered it yet? :)
Michael "Love mine!" Baglio

Mike,
I have one - love it. One of the best values in a table mounted router.
Rick, who uses his PC690 for hand held routing
Mike,
I liked mine so much I bought a second. One in the table and one on the bench.
Andy

I fabricate Solid Surface countertops, and have done so for the last 16 years. I have gone through 3 PC 3 1/2 HP production routers, I still have 3 on the go and now I have added 3 M12V's. (I also own a variety of smaller routers, less than 2 HP, my absolute favourite being the Milwaukee 5615 BodyGrip, I use those for roundover bits and small bevel bits etc.) Dollar for dollar, there is nothing to talk about. Even using a 1 1/2" full bullnose router bit (and THAT is a whopper) the Hitachi has a nice soft start, maintains LOTS of power at low RPM's and not a problem yet. The adjustments are crude, the baseplates were immediatly replaced with 1/2" Corian, 7" square. The collet is NOT fun to undo when I use the built-in lock, so two SnapOn wrenches it is...that works better.
Rob
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMtopworks.ca