"HIRED MAN"

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hired%20Man/hiredman.html
I am not the one that makes up the names.
JOAT Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge.
J T said:

When much younger, I worked in various automotive garages and machine shops. This very stand was a staple in many of the old timer's shops.

I don't - I stay up and write another chapter in the book. No matter that it's taken 18 years to get it to print. Revenge is a dish best served cold. ;-)
Greg G.
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:35:56 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

When working as a machinist, these were an absolute given on the cut-off end of the bandsaws.
J T wrote:

I'm reminded of a table someone provided a link to, a couple months ago, that incorporated a brakedrum in the design...
And, "hired man" is better than "slave"... unless you like to kick yours, or want to sell it. :)
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root said:

We used the misnomer "Third Hand" and my personal fav was "Big Dummy". Although the latter term often led to confusion when three warm bodies responded to a call for the "Big Dummy". :-\
Greg G.
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:14:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I've got about 3 of these things, in different sizes. I'd be absolutely lost without them. Making your own with a nice heavy casting at the base (brake drum is great) is much better than anything lightweight you might buy.
While you've got the welder out though, put a T bar handle on that thumbscrew, not just an oval.
J T wrote:

When on the farm we had a number of these, Dad called the "Mates". Instead of brake drums on the base we used plough disks. Thinking back, plough disks where indispensable. They made BBQ's,Bases for all types of contraptions, chook feeders, dairy heaters etc.
regards John