High effciency motors

We just received the recall notice on our Mustang. It's already had its airbags replaced (big oops!) but they said that they were most likely replaced with the same, faulty, parts. It'll be six months before they get the parts.
On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:

As I heard it, a fix was implemented, but the documentation of the fix was never filed: a mix of good and bad parts were in stock, with no stock-number difference. So, your switch MIGHT be just fine.
Ford investigated the switch thoroughly by taking an example from the (new, good-design) stock, and cleared it. That's why it took so long; a used-part example in bad-design had to be located and identified.
On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:

As I heard it, a fix was implemented, but the documentation of the fix was never filed: a mix of good and bad parts were in stock, with no stock-number difference. So, your switch MIGHT be just fine.
GM investigated the switch problem initially by taking an example from the (new, good-design) stock, and cleared it. That's why the problem lingered; a used-part example of bad-design type had to be located and identified.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 17:56:10 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Same way they screwed up an intake manifold- and manifold gaskets - and didn't fix it through how many years of production of the 3.8?
They just held their nose and ignored it because they figured it was cheaper to do some warranty repairs than to re-engineer something (even as simple as a gasket)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

Chryler did something similar with the 5.2--if I understand correctly the bolts were a little bit too long and bottomed out before properly compressing the gasket. Didn't help that there was a relatively thin steel plate covering the bottom of an aluminum manifold. Mine has a machined aluminum plate there now--I figured it was worth the hundred bucks extra to be reasonably certain that I would not have to take it apart again to fix that problem.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 17:56:10 -0400, "J. Clarke"

By paying attention to per unit pricing to save a few cents.
On 8/1/2015 3:18 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Exactly and as I was reading today, the gas tanks on the Ford Pinto. I knew about the Pinto tanks but learned today that they only needed to add a $1 part during manufacture to make the tanks safer. Ford chose to not do that for several years.
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/10-cars-that-were-just-too-dangerous-to-drive.html/5/
On 8/1/2015 1:24 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Pomatoes, Topatoes

Pomelos?
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 07:26:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"

So to have the inductance of the motor balanced by capacitance and it is high efficiency motor. This has been the case in "high efficiency appliances" or Energy Star ones.

LOL.

I beleive the expectation is to go from ~75% efficient (mechanical power out / electrical power in) to ~80%.

That is likely to be the case, since a big part of improving efficiency is reducing resistive losses, and the way to do that is thicker copper wiring.
Another issue is that the higher efficiency motors are likely to be larger than the current ones, so manufacturers may have to redesign their mountings. (which may also be a problem for anyone replacing a bad motor in an older tool).

Probably across the board. A run capacitor improves the motor's power factor, which reduces resistive losses. So it's a big help in improving efficiency.
Note that improving efficiency means less electrical energy is lost as heat, so capacitor lifetime may improve.
BTW, before a political debate starts on this, it should be noted that the legislation requiring the high efficiency motors dates to the GW Bush administration.
John
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 07:26:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"

In general, all it takes for higher efficiency is more copper and iron. This isn't anything new and is just a matter of cost. For something like a power tool, it's a complete waste of money (but it's the government's job, anymore, to spend other people's money).

Why would they have a problem. High-efficiency motors have been with us pretty much since motors were invented. It's all a matter of trading off cost and weight vs. efficiency.

Capacitor life is more about temperature than anything else. Higher efficiency should help.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- Have a model number, price and availability?
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

5K922, 363.50, if ordered now expected to arrive August 4.
says...

------------------------------------------------------------ Grainger description:
General Purpose Motor1 HPCapacitor-Start, 1725 Nameplate RPM, Voltage 115/208-230, Frame 56 ----------------------------------------------------------- Capacitor-Start is not split phase.
Nice try but no cigar.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

Yes, Cigar, Lew. The trouble is you wouldn't know a cigar if it beat you over the head with a titanium cluebat.
Do you _try_ to annoy people with this kind of pretend-ignorance?
says...

Lew has been told this over and over again and he insists on swimming with the crocodiles.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_motor#Split-phase_motor

------------------------------------------------ You can start with a split-phase design and then add a capicator BUT you no longer have a split phase motor, you have a capacitor start motor.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

Yep, I figured you were making some inane quibble over nomenclature. If you fancy yourself an engineer, don't quit your day job.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 20:05:50 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Wrong. A capacitor-start motor is just a special case of a split-phase motor. There are a few ways to split the phase but a different method doesn't mean that the phase isn't split.