Help with cherry desk project

I am interested in cutting out of the front rail (apron) of a cherry desk two drawer faces from the center of the rail that will match the grain when reinstalled as a finished drawer. Does anyone know how to do this to minimize loss through inaccurate drilling or sawing? A coping saw seems too crude for this, while a jig saw is too unwieldy. Any help here would be appreciated.
Paul Reed
Prior to assembly rip top & bottom edges then crosscut drawerfronts for midle slab. Proceed from there.
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:38:06 GMT, "news.verizon.net"

I haven't done this myself, but I've seen (probably Norm) someone on TV use a small trim circular saw and an edge guide. Plunge the blade into the work and be careful to leave the corners, accounting for the blade curvature. Then just finish the cut with a jig saw.
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

desk