Help with a dust collector

Page 2 of 2
On 12/31/2010 8:37 PM, Spark wrote:
After I wired it up and turned it on,

I would go to Home Depot and get a Fernco fitting that would connect my inlet pipe to a PVC Pipe, and run the PVC pipe to a pre filter/collector drum.You want as little dust and debris as possible to reach the fan/filter.
On mine I piped the inlet to a large paper drum in the middle of my shop.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/dc1020457.jpg
Then I built wooden gates (I'm a woodworker after all) that go to individual tools, mainly, Jointer, Table saw and Belt/disk sander. Instead of building a cyclone I simply put 45 pvc pipe connectors in the drum to get the air cycling around the outside of the drum, with the DC connected to the middle of the top. The heavy dust falls to the bottom when the air expands into the drum and whats left spins around and falls to the outside of the drum. Cean air is sucked out the middle top of the drum to the fan.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/dc1020458.jpg
This works great for me, and was, like me, cheap as all get out. All I get is some fine dust, mostly from sanding, in my filter. You do not need a giant bag on your collector using my method, a small filter is about all you need. Maybe a hoover sweeper vacuum bag, something like that.
--
Jack
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I added this to my pre-separator http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm and it made a big difference in how much stuff stays in the bottom of the can. I suspect it's the reduced turbulence downstairs that keeps the planer and jointer chips from going out to the filters. Art
On 1/1/2011 3:27 PM, Artemus wrote:

Yes, thats pretty much the same as mine, except my ports are on the side, and I have multiple ports for multiple tools.
I suspect it's the reduced turbulence downstairs that keeps the

I think going from a small pipe to a large drum lets the air expand rapidly with reduced velocity, allowing the heavy stuff to fall down. The lighter stuff spins around and falls down because of the angled inlet. The very, very light dust particles will get sucked up to the fan and filter. I've never gotten anything in my filter other than powder about the consistency of flour. My collector has a metal filter that you simply take outside and wash out a couple times a year (in my case)
--
Jack
I cut it twice and it's still too short...