Help - Removing "musty" smell from dresser drawers

Greetings!
Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby. However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.
If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me when I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental value, I can not.
The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it. The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.
So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of the dresser, I would appreciate it.
thanks!
Rob

Sounds like mildew. Spray white vinager inside and around the outside of the drawers. With the drawers out, spray vinager inside the case. Leave it in the garage for a day. Not too heavy a spray. Alternatively, wipe it down with a damp vinager sponge.
Lysol might also do the job and there has to be commercially available mousemilk products at the hardware stores.
Rob McConachie wrote: > Greetings! > > Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby. > However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is > reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.
Rent an ozone generator.
Place piece in the garage next to generator, then tent the whole thing with some plastic sheeting secured with some weights.
Couple of days should do it.
A couple of caveats.
Ozone attacks rubber and is hell on your breathing.
Plan accordingly.
Lew
If you have no success getting the smell out, then you can try sealing it in. I've has good results with a single coat of shellac. Be sure to seal all unfinished surfaces of all drawers and the carcass.
Art

Well... when I was checking out original Shaker chests of drawers pretty much every one of them smelled like moth balls... If you put moth balls in the chest you could "sell" that as a historical feature. ;~)
John
First thing i would do would be to put the drawers outside in the sunlight for a day or two(finished side in the shade) Fresh air and sunlight will do wonders to remove odors, If that don't work try a light wash with water and bleachd then when dry you can seal it all as others have suggested.