Help me understand this jig

Page 2 of 2

I have used a narrow [1.5"] wide strip of masonite [or whatever] glue-tacked to the upper side of the board overlapping one edge. It IS only a guide, and so is not getting any undue pressure. Run that along the fence while cutting the opposite side. First pass is a rough-cut. Then do a second pass to take off a hair more for a more smoother cut where the blade isn't under stress. The masonite is easily removed when done, and you can afford to scrap it after a couple of uses.
You might even make the first rough cut on the old saw you have stored in the garage, then go to the better blade for the finish. Well, I have two saws, one for working on house material [2x4 etc] and the other for finer work. Not absolutely necessary, it just happened that way.