Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools, above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12 plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

Reply to
RPS

Nothing wrong with starting out with tools that you will have to replace latter. I favor Japanese hand tools for esthetics and comfort. Mine have square wooden heads not round (boasting).

That said <

> has many options I went with the gone Smith& Hawkins that carried Bulldog tools. As you can see it is a jungle out here.

Sometimes if lucky in a public garden or nursery you can find some codgers that love speaking and sharing gardening lore without commercial interests just know by experience and for some reason ant to share it.

Reply to
Bill who putters

I've always found Fiskar pruning shears work more smoothly than any other brand. Definitely worth the money.

This tool won't make sense until you own one:

's absolutely the single most useful garden tool I've ever owned. Mine's

25 years old. Great for digging, weeding, and the serrated edge can cut through thick roots underground. I've never sharpened mine. There's no need to. It's the shape of the thing that makes it so functional.

That's not the only source for these knives. Search on eBay using some or all of the words "japanese hori hori weeder knife" and you may find it a little cheaper.

Incidentally, from a distance, the knife looks ominous when held in the hand. I believe it may have been a handy visual aid when I needed to educate moron dog owners who didn't understand the words "not here, please". A pitch fork is better for this purpose, but you can't carry one on your belt.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Instead of spending $34 plus shipping, I use a plain paring knife that I bought at the local supermarket for less than $10. Before buying it, I checked (1) that the blade is quite stiff and (2) that the tang of the blade extends the length of the handle. This serves quite well for weeding and edging the lawn. I do sharpen it with a whetstone when I use it for making cuttings of perennials and shrubs.

Reply to
David E. Ross

How long is the blade of that paring knife?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

See my . My page does not recommend brands or sources, but it does describe what characteristics you might want in some tools.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Re trowel and cultivator I have some that are cast aluminium all through with a polymer grip. They are very solid, polished and comfortable. These will not break with sensible use and above all will not rust. They were cheap about AU$6 each. I have given up on the pressed mild steel with a coat of paint type that bend and rust. With something like this brand is not important as you can see what you are getting. I may have to replace the grip in some years time - nothing is perfect.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

If you want a good hoe, here it is

Bobo

I was going to mention Lee Valley also. If something is priced quite cheap - they will state "good value for the money" - but they wouldn't sell you a useless piece of junk - by saying that. I love getting their catalogs - artwork photos on the cover - & interesting things inside. ... which reminds me - I haven't got a catalog lately - time to place an order ! ps : some of their high-end stuff is quite pricey - hand it down to your grandkids ... John T.

hubops

I have tried a variety of tools over time, so here's a few nuggets - If you are not of "average" size, I recommend that you handle the tools at the store a bit before buying - you will get a feel for how a tool works with your body size. I know, because I am short and have small hands, so I have to do this all the time. Then I'll go see if I can get it cheaper on-line.

One tool I highly recommend is what is called a short or small shovel

- looks like a shovel for a dwarf, but is as sturdy as a regular shovel. They are great for when you need a shovel, are down on your knees beside the bed, and using a regular shovel won't do the job as the handle will be too long for leverage (trust me, you will be in this position routinely). I got one as a gift about 6 or 7 years ago, and have really appreciated it.

Another tool - long handled by-pass loppers - they will be very handy reaching up high, getting into the middle of bushes, and can cut larger branches that regular pruners. Mine are made by Fiskar.

This should get you started :)

Reply to
Fran

I just ordered a Roth hori hori in stainless steel. Looks like a great multi purpose tool for any home gardener to have around. Also looks very well made and should last many years. It's nice to have one tool that can do many tasks and do them well. Sure saves a lot of trips to the shed :) Thank you so much for bringing this tool to my attention as I have never heard of it before.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

4-1/2 inches
Reply to
David E. Ross

In that case, you're comparing apples with space shuttles. Stop being silly.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The only problem I can foresee with stainless steel is that it'll be TOO attractive to creatures who love shiny things and never put tools back where they belong.

Hide it from your wife, in other words.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think it's cruel to tease people by mentioning tools they cannot buy any more, like Smith & Hawken. But it's a fun kinda cruelty. :-)

WTF happened to that company anyway? Did the entire executive staff start mainlining heroin or something? One day, they have actual tools and the next, they'll selling useless decorative crap.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
Bill who putters

You wouldn't need to make a lot of trips to the shed if you kept all your small tools in a 5 gallon contractor's bucket... with the lid on it even doubles as a sturdy gardening seat.... also a good tote for tossing all those stones and weeds you never come back for.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I use a mounted large rural mailbox.

Reply to
Bill who putters

"RPS" wrote

brooklyn1

I have that too, it's handy inside a veggie garden but it's not mobile, it's more like a mini tool shed. When I know I'll be walking about from area to area I gather up what tools I think I may need and grab a bucket... it's better to tote a few extra tools I'll not use than to walk all the way back for one item. Any lightweight plastic tool box works but I've found the contractor's bucket works best; they're cheap (usually free), strong, and plenty large enough for all sorts of toting, even soil or water. And one of its best uses is when you're out working up a sweat and you just need to sit under a tree for a few minutes.

Reply to
brooklyn1