HELP!!!

They say that you only grow by trying things you haven't done before (Somebody must have said that somewhere. Here is my latest "growth" project.
I am making a chair for a local Episcopal church. This is one of those that goes on the platform - square legs, high back, etc. I got the wise idea to do a gothic arch on the chair back to match their windows. So far, so good. Made the arch halves out of 8 3/16th x 1 3/4 ash strips 48" long. Made my bending form and got them close to identical.
Now for the thing I need help with. How do I join those two arch halves at the top? any mechanical fastner will tend to separate the laminations.
Here are the ideas I have had:
1. Miter joint - inherently weak 2. Lap joint - almost have to be hand cut, but doable 2. Bridal joint - with care I could cut the majority at the tablesaw.
Any and all comments thankfully accepted.
Deb
Dr. Deb wrote:

What about a floating tenon?
Larry Bud wrote:

Good idea... Or even a biscuit --
If it is curved a sliding dovetail is probably out now. But now that he has raised this issue I will try to plan ahead when I do this.:-)
Used curved blocks to clamp the joint and you should be in business.

If it was me, I would go with a loose tenon. And I would have drilled the holes ahead of time. The beadlock system can be done with a hand drill, providing you have a straight edge to lineup on. See them at
http://www.beadlock.com /
You can see some real world examples at
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/prod-bdl.htm
I have seen some good things with this. Another use of the Beadlock system is to make things that break down. You glue in one side and slide the other side off and on. Useful for demo type exhibits.
As long as you material is thick enough, these joints are quite strong. Put it together with some good glue, it should be of sufficient strength and stability for its intended purpose.

The real question is how does this old fart have all these different chicks visiting him???

Feh...damn thing would probably go off prematurely.

Uhh, which were you referring to??
Dr. Deb wrote:

Why not a splined mitre? Maybe even a double. Whether contrasting or blended in I think It would be perfectly attractive and very strong.
Fri, Dec 16, 2005, 2:09pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@mon-cre.net (Dr.Deb) claimeth: They say that you only grow by trying things you haven't done before (Somebody must have said that somewhere. Here is my latest "growth" project. I am making a chair <snip>
Whoever said that, is full of crap. Among other things I'm not about to try bungee jumping.
I can't quite envision what you're doing. All that comes to mind are, box joints, or laminating. Or, you could hold them together with rubber bands.
I think I'd have done a Peacock Chair. Or one of the arch top knock-down chairs. Or, a Viking box chair.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Hey, that's perfect for a chair in a church. Presumably only to be used for weddings?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Dr. Deb said:

I'm not certain of your construction details, but the first thing that comes to my mind is a dowel or possibly a spline joint.
FWIW,
Greg G.