hearing loss

Page 1 of 4
There has been some talk of hearing protection and such. But sometimes the effects are overlooked.
I have been working at a reno this week and a crew of 2 hardwood floor installers showed up to install parkay flooring ( glue down ).
They worked with a small table saw ( no guard ) and no hearing protection. One even was wearing a ring all day.
One of the installers was in his early 30 and both had the radio playing LOUD. But to them it wasn't loud at all. And you had to speak loudly to have a converstion with them.
Wear your protective gear and take safety precautions seriously.
: "The only person sure of himself is the man who wishes to : leave things as they are, and he dreams of an impossibility" : -- George M. Wrong. : : Angelo Castellano emails - statsone@sympatico dot gov : gov to be replaced with ca : www.reliable-quality.com
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:05:56 -0500, Angelo Castellano posting wrote:

I wish someone had told me that 35 years ago!
[snip]

<serious> What's the big deal about wearing a ring? If you get your hand so close to a moving part that you're in danger of snagging your ring on it, you have your hand too damn close to it anyway, ring or not. </serious>
<tongue-in-cheek> What else am I gonna do with my wedding ring, anway? Put it on a chain around my neck? I don't think so.
Put it in my pocket? And lose it? Then try to explain that to SWMBO? That's an even _greater_ hazard than putting it around my neck. :-)
Leave it on the dresser? Then try to explain to SWMBO's _parents_ why I'm not wearing my ring anymore? Or her brother? Yeah, right.
I'll take my chances with the machinery, thank you very much. </tongue-in-cheek>

The problem wasn't the ring...

.. the problem was that the machine was being operated by an idiot. Your shop teacher learned -- and taught -- the wrong lesson from this incident. Instead of "Don't operate machinery while wearing a ring" the proper lesson is "Don't operate machinery if you're stupid."

*What* chance? That's my point: your fingers should never be so close to any moving part that a ring makes a difference. If I could get a ring caught on something moving, my finger is *already* in danger because it's too close.

Doug Miller wrote:

Fine, exercise your right to ignore lessons of others. I don't wear my ring while doing any kind of manual labor. I've had rings catch on stuff. Something on the ranch went wrong and even through leather gloves my finger was bleeding 360 degrees.
My dad doesn't wear his when doing manual labor either. When he was a young he jumped out of a hayrack. The ring caught on a nail. If the hayrack had been a couple inches taller he would have lost the finger.
I put these all in the same category: "Use your TS guard." "Use push sticks." "Take off your rings in the shop."
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

No, he's making excuses so when his finger gets ripped off he can call it an accident.
We've been married 12 years. I don't wear a ring and if I wear a watch it has a rubber band.
I told wife before we were married I wouldn't wear a ring, I was around too many things at home and work and it would be a hazard. She got me a small band for the ceremony. I would wear it on occasion. Found myself wearing it one day at work, figured all I was going was pulling wrenches so I left it on. When I got home I went to take it off and couldn't, found it was ovaled. Took it off and haven't seen it in years. We figured I lost it.
Got another ring, this time a 'comfort fit'. It's a big fat band and irritating as hell. I know exactly where this one is (inside the safe). I wear it only at weddings and job interviews.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

I wear mine on business trips to help remind me... <g>
-- Mark
Angelo Castellano posting wrote:

Wow. Wish I had problems like that. I had mine resized, resized, then had to get a new one. Because it kept getting too small. I didn't realize gold would shrink like that, but that *must* be why it kept getting tighter and tighter.
My college ring is very tight, and my high school ring is the tighest of them all.

I had a kickback in the shop while wearing a ring. It smashed my fingers, including the ring, which it smashed flat on my finger. My finger immediately started swelling and turned black and I could not get the ring off. I had to try to hit it with a hammer to some semblance of roundness and then use soap to get it off. Wasn't an easy thing to do when it felt like my whole hand was smashed. Believe me, I no longer wear a ring in the shop!

What was your hand doing in the way of a kickback, in the line of fire so to speak?

IMO, not wearing a ring is the wrong lesson to take out of this experience. The right lessons to take out of it would be to take steps to prevent kickback, and ensure that all of your body parts are well out of the way should one occur.
Subject to your correction, I'm guessing that this occurred on a table saw, with no splitter, and no push sticks in use either.
(Doug Miller) writes:

No, it was in my early days of woodworking. I was ripping on a radial arm saw. Not even sure how it wound up smashing my fingers, it happened too fast. I have since replaced that RAS with a table saw and a compound mitre saw. And I always use push sticks. Still no ring though...

Ahh, I see. Still IMO "no rings" is the wrong lesson to learn from this.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:31:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I have no idea what "the right question" is.
But the right answer is don't wear rings in a workshop. -- Do whales have krillfiles ?
Second that. In my case it was a young man shinning down a Lightning Mk6 ladder dirung a scramble start (Cold War days, guys) who slipped, caught his ring in a step tread and managed to peel most of his ring finger like taking a condom off.
The other big nono about wearing rings was the skinny dipstick whose ring didn't fit and managed to drop it in the starboard equipment compartment of the same aircraft type. We spent most of that night stripping the bloody thing to find it before the aircraft could fly again.
I accept that it's slightly different when you're wearing a ring in your own woodworking shop, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just another thing in the way, so I don't wear one. I don't wear a wristwatch either.
YMMV
Frank
(Doug Miller)

Doug Miller wrote:

Incredible. Doubtless you also believe
- Woodturners who dropped a gouge that stuck in their foot because they were wearing sandles shouldn't wear boots, they should just be more careful to avoid lathe catches.
- Woodworkers who trip on electric cords on the floor should just walk more carefully, not take actions to remove the hazard. (I have 3 extension cords running along the ceiling of my shop because I got tired of the tripping hazard -- do you think I should take them down & just be "more careful"?)
People have posted here, "Something bad happened while I was working with my hands. The injury was *worse* because of a circle of metal on my finger. I'm not wearing rings in the shop anymore." Seems reasonable to me. It's a personally-proven technique of reducing the chance of injury.
-- Mark

Nope. I believe that anybody who wears sandals in a woodshop isn't too bright. There are just too many things that can land on your toes. Wearing shoes is just one of those things that falls into the category of "reasonable precautions", along with using a splitter and push sticks on a TS, and keeping your various body parts out of the line of fire.

You really should pay a bit more attention to posts before you respond to them. I never advocated leaving obvious safety hazards in place, and for you to conclude that I would, is quite a stretch of the imagination.

technique, and IMO a better one, of reducing the chance of injury.
Doug Miller wrote:

Not trying to pick a fight, or insult, or engage in a long subthread. <g>
IME wearing a ring in the shop *is* a safety hazard. If you don't agree, fine. I hope you never have to wish you had not had it on. It's really un-fun getting a ring off when the skin is no longer continuous under it.
-- Mark
Doug Miller wrote:

And what will you do when you find yourself in a situation where you'd LIKE NOTHING MORE than to keep your hands away from harm's way, but an unfortunate circumstance and a powerful machine have different ideas? Haven't you read the stories about limbs getting dragged into hungry machines because something got hooked onto a ring or a watch or a piece of loose clothing? Wearing jewelry around any kind of machinery is just dumb, no matter how "careful" you are. Picture having a stout splinter of wood catch under your ring while feeding a board into the planer. A contrived example perhaps, but you never know what kind of shit is going to happen. Better safe than sorry.
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.