Hardwood Flooring

Page 2 of 3

Nothing to the fishies... It was 5 out of a 35 gallon tank. But when the contractor said "If it was tap water I'd say sand and refinish, but it's dirty water, so best to rip it out." who was I to argue.
In fact, ripping and replacing is faster and less intrusive!

While my parents went away for a weekend, they lost 40 gallons from a leak from a 40 gallon tank on the second level. Can you say "new ceilings"? Bad day for the little fishies too...
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:08:05 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Are you on concrete? A few gallons of water shouldn't have damaged oak flooring unless it was soaked in it. How long was it wet?

I found a box of that at a contractor's garage sale and picked it up for $25. It is now in my entryway butted up to a horrid, old maroon carpet. Ithink the old carpet makes it look even better. <g>
Jatoba's happenin'.

Painted baseboard makes a nice contrast to the wood.

Aquariums can be mighty expensive.
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

We don't know. Several hours, anyway. Discovered it at 6 am on a Monday morning.
About 30 sq ft of 1.5" boards are seriously cupped.

It's sure purty lookin'

We're going to go get some paint chips this morning. I still have the flooring sample. But we can wait till the floor's down before making final colour decisions.

No shit, Sherlock. I got a deal a couple of weeks ago on some fish I've wanted to have again (last had them when I in high school), tiger oscars. Fellow had a pair he was letting go for $10 each.
10 - 10.5 inches long, they is. They'd sell retail for $100 - $150 apiece.
Put them in the 35 gallon tank and realized it was just too small.
$500 later...
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:21:05 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Amazing. 4-6" boards I can see cupping, but not those toothpicks. Try putting a finish on the replacement wood, eh? ;-/
I think the contractor called it right. Replacement valid.

And does, for a whole long time.

Go light so the contrast is high. Maybe that Jewish ceiling color, beige? Booful! <gd&r>

Oscars, eh? The effeminate piranha of the aquarium world.

Don't worry. You're not even close to being done yet. Wait until you discover reefs and saltwater aquariums. ;)
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-
scrawled the following:

Yeah, a Nano Reef will only set you back about $1000. :()
Meantime there's a fight going on in the FW tank ...
snip

Yeah. Dirty water he said. Bacteria, fungus...
snip

We collected the paint chips this morning, and we's of the same frame of mind. High contrast. We are thinking about one accent wall. We can wait until the floor is down before picking colours. Leaning towards a very subtle, very pale blue.

Chuck you, Farley!
Oscars ain't no effeminature of any kind! They is the Labradors of the aquarium world, 'scept they don't shed.
What other fish will wag its tail when it sees you, and perform "UP!" to get fed?
Harumph.
snip

Oh, I learned about salty water tanks 35 years ago, C-less. WAY too spendy for me.
scrawled the following:

Saltwater Toby. And most other puffers.
Freshwater puffer was what killed my first oscar... He got all the deaders from the other tanks, guppies, etc, and I just forgot...
Mouthed the puffer a couple of times, spit it out, went into convulsions, dead inside of 15 minutes.
35 years ago, and I still remember it frame by frame...

Oh, Bummer!
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Pergo is not "fake" stuff. The top 1/32 to 3/8" is real hardwood. The rest is mystery wood. It's like veneered plywood with two exceptions: The substrate is layered in different directions to virtually eliminate warping and it's covered with an impregnable finish.
HeyBub wrote:

you have to distinguish what you're both talking about.
traditional pergo is laminate flooring.
pergo also has hardwood line too, and that top layer is wood. however, the usual pergo flooring does not have a wood surface.
from wikipedia:
Laminate flooring is a multi-layer synthetic flooring product, fused together with a lamination process. Laminate flooring simulates wood (or stone, in some cases) with a photographic applique layer under a clear protective layer. The inner core layer is usually composed of melamine resin and fiber board materials. There is sometimes a glue backing for ease of installation. It has the advantages that it is durable, as compared with carpet, and attractive, at a lower cost as compared to natural floor materials.

.
Actually the "Pergo Laminate" flooring is very similar to "Fromica" it is not Wood. Pergo may be making a wood floor now days but Pergo is commonly known as a laminate.

I think Pergo got a foothold in the industry, early, and now people just use it like they say, "Kleenex."
--

-MIKE-

Yes.. Crecent wrench, Skil Saw, Coke, Channel Lock, Pergo, Formica, Etc.

Xerox, Scotch tape
any more anyone?
Joe wrote:

Q-tip ViceGrip Asprin Yo-Yo Thermos Crock-Pot...
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Weed-Eater
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:58:50 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

Speaking of which, anyone have a cordless blower they want to get rid of, cheap?
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

You get the leaf blower along with the Mexican National on whose back it is strapped.
You are on your own to get any required environmental approvals.
Lew