hardwood floor

On 4/25/2012 9:53 AM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

No, but there is a hardened spiral shank flooring nail as well as the old cut flooring nail (similar to, but _not_ a masonry nail; they're thinner profile).

I'd suggest one or the other over a standard finish nail certainly, especially into subflooring rather than into joists.

Reply to
dpb

thanks. i'm going to the orange box tomorrow. I'll see if they have them.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On 4/25/2012 7:55 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Too bad there aren't CC finish like underlayment sinkers--but afaik there aren't. Other than the odd situation like you have of hand-nailing flooring there's little that really needs a lot of holding power for a finish nail so no real market niche...

If'en they got 'em, I'd go w/ the spiral shank over the cut; they'll be easier driving (particularly if you're the least bit out of practice w/ a larger hammer :) ).

Reply to
dpb

gettin' ready to leave here in a few minutes. I was wondering about those cut nails. Seems like they'd just split the tongue right off the board. I haven't tried nailing any of this red oak yet. Maybe it is not as brittle as I'm thinking it is.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On 4/26/2012 10:30 AM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Surprisingly, if you're good enough to get them started in a single blow, they don't do that badly. You do have to be sure to orient them along the grain and avoid any spot w/ a knot or irregular grain but other than a localized split, they don't cause huge splits (unless you don't get them driven through and they twist or similar, that is :) ).

And, as noted they're slimmer w/ a better point than a masonry nail which is about the only cut nail one sees any more...

Reply to
dpb

well i can't seem to find either. Online or locally.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On 4/26/2012 3:38 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

That's a few for the cut...

And a couple spiral-shank.

I'd think a full-service lumber yard or hardware should. Not terribly surprised about the box stores; they're into lowest-common-denominator mass-market stuff.

Reply to
dpb

Thanks so much for doing my research for me! I ordered them from the TV in Arkansas. The shipping was out of sight from the first place.

Probably be good insurance to pre-drill this boards eh?. I only have one spare made up.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On 4/26/2012 7:13 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Can't hurt...as noted, you need to be pretty good w/ a hammer to do these w/o. If you're in shape and can really lay a lick on 'em w/o smacking either your fingers or denting the floor, they'll go w/o but "love taps" don't/won't cut it.

Reply to
dpb

gotcha! I only have 13 boards to lay and they are only 43" long or so. I will just set up a jig and pre-drill them on the drill press

Reply to
Steve Barker

Most home centers (e.g. home depot) will rent you ye old manual flooring nailer for a pittance. With the appropriate fasteners. Much easier to blind nail through the tongue with the proper tool. Just need a big mallet to drive it.

for example

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

i've considered the floor nailer option. It would take me longer to go get it and take it back than it would to lay 12sq ft of floor. That's why i'm manually nailing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On 4/26/2012 10:16 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Of course, you could have gotten and taken it back two or three (dozen?) times in the time we've spent here... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

LOL! yes, but i'm not ready to lay that landing yet. I'm still doing drywall..

Reply to
Steve Barker

You should be aware that Ace Hardware sells a spiral shank hardened flooring nail with countersink type head. Pre-drill the holes in the tongue area of the flooring if you wish. Then pound in the nail. Set the nail into the tongue with a nail set.

Reply to
Michael Karas

Yeah, but you need to consider the finished project too. The floor nailer is not only easy but it will drive the 'Christmas tree' flooring nails with one good whack and put them where they belong. Those nails do a pretty fair job of grabbing. I laid about 900 SF of hardwood four years ago and the floor nailer made it pretty easy. Even with the floor nailer I had to use a 16ga finish nailer for some close quarters work and getting it in place to hit the tongue correctly was kinda fiddly - and some of those boards squeak a little now. About 1-1/2 years later I was in exactly the same situation as you. I had about a 5' square landing to finish out and did the whole thing with the conventional nailer. While I was wishing I had gone ahead and rented the floor nailer during much of the job, I have to admit the floor nailer would have been marginal on clearance in the close quarters.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

flooring with a hammer. One slip and you can end up striking the exposed edge and leaving a dent. A nail set is necessary and setting spiral shank nails with a set can be kinda difficult. But on a job this size, you'll figure it out on the last one or two nails :0)

Reply to
RonB