hardwood floor

Page 2 of 2
On 4/25/2012 7:55 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Too bad there aren't CC finish like underlayment sinkers--but afaik there aren't. Other than the odd situation like you have of hand-nailing flooring there's little that really needs a lot of holding power for a finish nail so no real market niche...
If'en they got 'em, I'd go w/ the spiral shank over the cut; they'll be easier driving (particularly if you're the least bit out of practice w/ a larger hammer :) ).

On 4/25/2012 8:19 PM, dpb wrote:

gettin' ready to leave here in a few minutes. I was wondering about those cut nails. Seems like they'd just split the tongue right off the board. I haven't tried nailing any of this red oak yet. Maybe it is not as brittle as I'm thinking it is.
--
Steve Barker
On 4/26/2012 10:30 AM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Surprisingly, if you're good enough to get them started in a single blow, they don't do that badly. You do have to be sure to orient them along the grain and avoid any spot w/ a knot or irregular grain but other than a localized split, they don't cause huge splits (unless you don't get them driven through and they twist or similar, that is :) ).
And, as noted they're slimmer w/ a better point than a masonry nail which is about the only cut nail one sees any more...
On 4/26/2012 11:57 AM, dpb wrote:

well i can't seem to find either. Online or locally.
--
Steve Barker
On 4/26/2012 3:38 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

<http://www.mazelumber.com/catalog/ <http://www.mazenails.com/locator/
<http://store.tremontnail.com/cgi-bin/tremontnail/items?mv_arg=6
<http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/18-67-nails-bulk-specialty/hard-cut-flooring-nail-303586.aspx
That's a few for the cut...
<http://www.hardwareandtools.com/National-Nail-16148-Sterling-Fasteners -
Lb-7D-2-1-4-Inch-Screw-Shank-Floor-
Nail-u867887.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&
utm_medium=Product%20Search&utm_campaign=Google%20Products>
<http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-52694/Detail
And a couple spiral-shank.
I'd think a full-service lumber yard or hardware should. Not terribly surprised about the box stores; they're into lowest-common-denominator mass-market stuff.
On 4/26/2012 5:03 PM, dpb wrote:

<http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/18-67-nails-bulk-specialty/hard-cut-flooring-nail-303586.aspx
Thanks so much for doing my research for me! I ordered them from the TV in Arkansas. The shipping was out of sight from the first place.
Probably be good insurance to pre-drill this boards eh?. I only have one spare made up.
--
Steve Barker
On 4/26/2012 7:13 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Can't hurt...as noted, you need to be pretty good w/ a hammer to do these w/o. If you're in shape and can really lay a lick on 'em w/o smacking either your fingers or denting the floor, they'll go w/o but "love taps" don't/won't cut it.

On 4/26/2012 8:25 PM, dpb wrote:

gotcha! I only have 13 boards to lay and they are only 43" long or so. I will just set up a jig and pre-drill them on the drill press
--
Steve Barker

Most home centers (e.g. home depot) will rent you ye old manual flooring nailer for a pittance. With the appropriate fasteners. Much easier to blind nail through the tongue with the proper tool. Just need a big mallet to drive it.
for example
<http://www.homedepotrents.com/diyTools/floor_stapler.asp
scott
On 4/26/2012 10:05 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

i've considered the floor nailer option. It would take me longer to go get it and take it back than it would to lay 12sq ft of floor. That's why i'm manually nailing.
--
Steve Barker
On 4/26/2012 10:16 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Of course, you could have gotten and taken it back two or three (dozen?) times in the time we've spent here... :)
On 4/27/2012 7:57 AM, dpb wrote:

LOL! yes, but i'm not ready to lay that landing yet. I'm still doing drywall..
--
Steve Barker
[This followup was posted to rec.woodworking and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

You should be aware that Ace Hardware sells a spiral shank hardened flooring nail with countersink type head. Pre-drill the holes in the tongue area of the flooring if you wish. Then pound in the nail. Set the nail into the tongue with a nail set.
--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

Keep in mind you have to be CAREFUL driving nails in tongue and groove flooring with a hammer. One slip and you can end up striking the exposed edge and leaving a dent. A nail set is necessary and setting spiral shank nails with a set can be kinda difficult. But on a job this size, you'll figure it out on the last one or two nails :0)

Yeah, but you need to consider the finished project too. The floor nailer is not only easy but it will drive the 'Christmas tree' flooring nails with one good whack and put them where they belong. Those nails do a pretty fair job of grabbing. I laid about 900 SF of hardwood four years ago and the floor nailer made it pretty easy. Even with the floor nailer I had to use a 16ga finish nailer for some close quarters work and getting it in place to hit the tongue correctly was kinda fiddly - and some of those boards squeak a little now. About 1-1/2 years later I was in exactly the same situation as you. I had about a 5' square landing to finish out and did the whole thing with the conventional nailer. While I was wishing I had gone ahead and rented the floor nailer during much of the job, I have to admit the floor nailer would have been marginal on clearance in the close quarters.
RonB
You want something to pad and allow slide between the hardwood and the subflooring. Do not use anything that functions as a vapour barrier. You want your woods to be equal moisture content to minimize unequal moisture expansion and contraction in an attempt to eliminate as much popping and snapping as possible. Cupping is hard to stop on a hardwood floor with unequal moisture from top to bottom, also.
---------------- "Steve Barker" wrote in message
Fixin' to lay about a 3x4 foot landing with red oak hardwood i have created myself with a pen knife, bic lighter and a #55 stanley plane. (and if you believe that.....) Actually, my question is, do I need anything between the oak and the OSB subfloor? I plan to tongue nail it with my 16 ga finish nailer.
thanks
--
Steve Barker
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:51:12 -0500, Steve Barker

I always use lithium wheel bearing grease as a decoupler from the subfloor. If I'm out of the grease, I use some of my lithium meds mixed with Vaseline. It works nearly as well.
And I use HFT's -red- finish nails. They're slipperier & prettier.
(oh, darn. I'm 23 days late.)
-- Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense. -- Buddha