Hardware Label

Page 2 of 2
Mon, Nov 29, 2004, 11:48am (EST+5) bubbalouieNO snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (bubbalouie) burbled: I have a dilemma. <snip>
And I've got an old plasic bucket.
Any odd bolt, nut, screw, nail, or whatever, off of old tools, cars, wherever, goes in it. When I needs something off the wall, I look in the bucket. Sometimes I find it, sometimes not. Be a waste of time trying to organize any of it.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 03:54:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

My dad has that bucket for nuts and bolts. I can't imagine the amount of time my granddad and I wasted looking for the one nut, bolt or washer in that bucket that wasn't "too big" or "too small" for a repair job we were doing on a piece of machinery. Would have saved way more time to have sorted and organized that bucket than all the times we went through the bucket sorting it one bolt at a time (yeah, back then I wasn't thinking either -- I guess I just sort of thought that's how everybody did things).

Hey! It IS organized! It's in the bucket!
And if I can't find it in about 10 minutes, I know to run down to the hardware store, and buy exactly what I want. What really frustrates me is KNOWING I have a box of what I'm looking for, and not being able to find it. Likely because I put it away 'somewhere safe'.
Picking through the bucket also seems to offer the opportunity to solve a problem in another way. Sort of a creativity enhancer, if you will.
Patriarch, who belives that there just might be one heck of an estate sale one day...

LOL... isn't THAT the truth. My SWMBO calls that "constructive procrastination." That is, when a piece appears to be usable in another repair altogether. Working on the mower..heyyy THIS might work on the dryer I was trying to fix...and the original trip to the shed was to repair a screen door.
I have heard this kinda thing happens to some people.
Rob

Some people describe it as lack of focus. Those people could be described as narrow-minded. ;-)
Patriarch

I can sort of see that. The problem was that when we were picking through the bucket, that windrower, or that combine, or that disc had to be fixed *now*. What often happened was that we would go through the bucket, couldn't find *the* bolt or nut, and granddad still wound up making a trip into town to buy one.