Harbor Fright

Page 1 of 3
I'll be going on vacation soon and the place that I'm going to has a Harbor Fright store nearby, anything I purchase will be brought back on the plane with me. Any good buys that I should look for and junk that I should stay away from?? A couple of things that come to mind are a set of machinist squares, a dial indicator and a magnetic base.
Thanks Ray
If this is a typo, it is one of the funniest ones I've seen in awhile.
Thanks!

Harbor
I've never been there but from some of the post that I've seen it can be a scary place.
I figure he was just being clever. . .<s>
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

plane
stay

Harbor
If you're going to bring it back in a carry-on, be sure it's not on the TSA's list of Things Which May Not Be Carried On A Plane.. http://makeashorterlink.com/?H5BF234E6
Somehow, I think most things sold at Harbor Freight would give the TSA screeners hissy fits.
Henry Bibb
brought forth from the murky depths:

Yeah, all they let on are bullets, guns, and fake bombs. Your tax dollars at work!
- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Ray,
The DI and base are a good deal, especially if on sale.
Otherwise, you can see what's crap, and not ...
Regards, JT
ROTFLMAO!!

Harbor

Harbor
I have all three of the above from HF. The base and dial indicator are fine. My machinist squares are too far out of square to be useful to me. They're in the drawer labeled "Pennywise Pound Foolish." But, several others have posted that their HF squares are indeed square.
The other things that pop to mind as "generally accepted as having some value" from HF are: the 18g brad nailers, the dust collector and the clamps.
The 18g brad nailer that I recently picked up (46309) was only $24.99. One thing to remember about HF is that if you see a price in a flyer or catalog, you must bring that ad in to obtain the price. The nailer I was buying as stocked at $49.99. W/o the flyer, you pay the store price.
I picked up some casters on sale once, they're fine for shop cabinets.
mttt wrote:

AT my store you don't need the flyer, usually the flyer prices are marked on the shelf. Besides, they have a supply of the flyers at the store.
But they will honor a web quote if you bring in a printout of the web ad. I did that with that 21gal noisemaker they call an air compressor. It works just fine, just noisy.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

plane
stay
machinist
fine.
They're
have
clamps.

Oh they have flyers at my store too. The prices are sometimes higher on their flyer. Case in point - my flyer (via mail) had the #46309 18g nailer for $24.99. So did the web price.
I walked in the store - it was marked for $49.99.
I asked and was told - twice - that I needed to bring in the flyer or catalog with the lower price to get the lower price.
mttt wrote:

I guess I'm spoiled rotten with our store, which always has copies of all the current mailed flyers and special flyers on the counter, and they have the flyers opened up and stuck on the window, with any special messages. Don't know how they handle online stuff, but they have about the nicest people of any store I know. You don't need a reason for a return and you can get your money back if you have a receipt or a replacement if you don't have a receipt. They don't question anyone's veracity, they just replace the part. Give raincheck, and notify you by mail usually in a week. Oh, yeah, if you ask about returns on a product they tell straight out if it seems to have a problem.
wrote in message

Sounds like you've got a good one!
I will add that I'll bet these are some of the thickest skinned (and I mean that in a nice way) folks I've ever noticed. The clientel is often demanding and frugal. The lines are long. Stock runs low on popular items. And many times, I've overheard the manager talking to very disgruntled customers on the phone.
Still the folks manning the registers manage a smile.

I don't know which store you use but if you go to the one in Houston it's almost impossible to find anyone to ask about anything - worst customer service I've ever seen. Even when you find someone chances are good that they don't have a clue. It's also hard to find a lot of items - located in places I never would have guessed instead of places where logic would dictate. It's OK to wander around and see what you can't live without but infuriating if you're in a hurry and just need to pick something up and leave.
Tom wrote:

Boise, Idaho. You just ask someone and they tell you the aisle or they find someone who tells you. Sometimes you have to ask two different people, but it is usually quick and the employees are always polite. Occassionally I hear someone that is a bit full of his own B.S. that you would just like to slap, but it is rare. Most of these people aren't technicians, so they don't know much more than what other people tell them. Normally they either they know and can answer your question or they don't know and say it. I lived in Arizona for 4 years and I was appalled at the employees and the level of service. Never got an order from Sears that was totally correct. One time I ordered an air filter for my 3/4 ton pickup (I was living about 80 miles from the nearest town), and received a package that was 1 by 4 x 6 inches. Anyone with a brain could quickly figure that it didn't contain and engine air filter in 1974.

Would you mind sending some of them to the Houston store? Better yet - send the manager - sounds like he knows how to run a shop.
Tom wrote:

Sorry, we would call that cruel and unusual punishment for the employee or the manager.
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) wrote:

I'll second this statement about the Houston store. I wanted the 6" and 12" squeeze clamps that were on sale just yesterday and the first guy I asked, well, I had really inconvenienced his ass by disturbing him at work. Then he looked it up on the computer and said, nope got none.
So I really want them and I figure I'll try again. I get another guy, which YES, it is always hard to find anyone to ask anything, and he walks me to the back and we find a half dozen of each size on the shelf.
And then only 1 register was opened with 3-4 people waiting. Of course after I waited for all those people to check out with handwritten checks, asking for special favors, filling out warranty papers, then they opened the other register.
don't buy anything that has to have a sharp edge, such as drill bits, router bits ect..
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland