Harbor Freight Multi-tool WOW!

Page 2 of 4
On 2/26/2010 10:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

As they say, marketing is the practice of convincing fools they can pick up a turd by the clean end, and the biggest problem with modern marketing is that government entities are now practicing it, due mainly to the proliferation of fools.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thanks to the school systems that proliferate superstitions, and deliver high school graduates that (should be who, but they're not really fully grown people) only read at 2nd grade level.
--
Best regards
Han

Don't be so hard on poor Swingman. He means well!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in

I'm ot hard on Swingman at all. Au contraire! I'm just explaining (part of) his "... due mainly to the proliferation of fools."
SIL and daughter teach in highschools in "disadvantaged" districts - math and physics, respectively. The school systems have failed the kids miserably. It's not even that the kids aren't willing to learn, they just never got in the habit, and have few incentives. Of course, the parents (if any) aren't blameless either ...
Trouble is, the kids quote can earn more in 1 year on the street than the best teachers get in 5 years. I'm not talking life expectancy, though.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/27/2010 8:46 AM, Han wrote:

And, speaking of fools, the particular one to whom you were replying is Bozo Binned, where such fools belong ... a word to the woodworking wise who actually practice same.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

sorry for prolonging the thread ...
:-)
--
Best regards
Han

Poor moronic baby. If you can't hang, maybe you should go elsewhere.

Well then perhaps you are being hard on Swingman... and yourself!
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:54:01 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Except they didn't do what you two are accusing them of.
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:19:55 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

...Except there is no mounting problem on the original single speed unit. Someone has posted that their unit lacks the 4 positioning nubs. That's a manufacturing defect, not a design defect.
I just looked in the owners booklet. The arbor is called a "spindle" in their terms. If your spindle doesn't have nubs, you can call 1-800-444-3353 and discuss it with tech support. Maybe they will send you a new one.
Also note that the instructions say not to use the long rectangular blades in any position except straight out in front.
On 2/27/10 7:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

From the manual... "3. Note: Some units may have small holes inthe attachments and/or pins on the spindle shoulder. These are not used or required for this model."
This tells me two things. 1) It's not defective if the "nubs" (pins) are not there. Defective means, "oops, we forgot to put them on." Not, "we decided later, to improve the model with nubs." b) It would be quite a bit of spin/deception on their part to change the manual on all the older single speed models to try to hide the fact that they are selling off the old stick that was defective.
Did they change the design? Probably. Are they trying to deceive? Possibly.
--

-MIKE-

If you don't have the nubs, your unit is defective. Call the number I provided and see if they will send you a correct spindle.
I have a single speed model and it has the nubs. If you look very carefully with a high powred electron microscope, you may notice that *ALL* blades for the tool have holes for mating to those nubs.
On 2/27/10 12:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Like I wrote, that isn't "defective." That's a design change.
--

-MIKE-

ALL of the blades since day one have had the holes. They would not have had the holes from day one unless there was some reason. You apparently bought a unit from a run that had defective spindles. That's a manufacturing defect.
Once again... Rather than whine here, you can call them and try to get a correct spindle.
Unless of course, you would rather whine here than solve the problem.
On 2/27/10 4:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

All you're doing is showing your lack of knowledge in Chinese manufacturing. There is probably one factory over there cranking out blades for every multi-tool "maker" on the planet. They are not going to tool-up to make custom blades for every design. They crank ten million at a time to fir a dozen different models. Some have pins, some don't.

Same concept as above.

Don't project your issues on me.
--

-MIKE-

My Harbor Freight Multi Tool has the correct spindle, and no problems with the blades coming loose.
I'm not whining that my Harbor Freight Multi Tool has no positioning nibs and the blade won't stay where I put it.
I was even nice enough to recognize your crybaby helplessness, and supply you with a telephone number to get your problem resolved.
Yet, still you whine.
On 2/27/10 6:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Neither does mine, as I said from the beginning.

Who's whining? I was supporting the fact that mine doesn't slip, even without the pins.

What problem. Show me where I said I had any problem at all. Do you have any reading comprehension at all?
You might want to reread, slowly if it helps, and see how I was the one who said (and in any thread about this tool) I had no problems with slipping. I never have.
I want some of what you're smoking, man. :-)
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com writes:

Do you have the same model as MIKE? Different models, different design.

Mine (model 67256) says on Page 8
2. Place attachment over Spindle (5) shoulder facinf forward. Line up the holes on the attachment with the tabs on the Spindle shoulder (See Figure A).
3. Attachmentsa may be mounted at angles up to 90 degrees left or right. The attachment should not turn on the spindle. If it can turn, make sure that the holes on the attachment line up with the tabs on the spindle and tighten the cap screw securely.
On 3/3/10 4:12 PM, Maxwell Lol wrote:

Apparently, yours falls into the "some units" category.
--

-MIKE-