Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw motor mount question

For those of you who have assembled this saw -- the motor mount seems to have contradictory instructions (what a surprise).

The motor plate bracket #9A that says that it attaches to the "front of the face plate", which would be on the side of the base closest to the switch. It is shown this way in figure D and in the exploded diagram on page 20 of the instructions.

However, Figure E appears to show the top of the motor mount bracket attached to the motor plate bracket OPPOSITE the end that has the switch, as indicated by the cord placement in the picture.

Is the diagram correct or the picture in Figure E (or neither?)

Reply to
Rob

It mounts on the same end as the switch. You will want to check both belt tensions. The adjustment is behind the lower blade wheel. It takes a

7/8" wrench, if memory serves me. You will need two and one of those should be offset, just makes life easier. Tighten the upper belt first, then move the motor to adjust the lower. Get both of them tight. The saw cuts fairly well, but only if the belts are tight.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I was so disgusted with mine I took it back, along with a floor mount drill press. HF is good for some things, but I will never buy power tools from them again...

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Harbor Freight tools seem to luck of the draw. I picked up the bandsaw on sale last year. Really an excellent machine. No vibrations, good power, true table, etc. Only downside was the cheap plastic guides that are less than useless as they just melt away instead of keeping the blade true and the absolutely lousy blade. However, the bro-in-law picked one up the next day and his was at best a boat anchor. Shook, rattled, one wheel was oval, table warped. Back for a swap, the second is not bad, but not as good as the one I got. If you buy their stuff you can save a lot, but you have to accept that it may take a few tries and some possible upgrades to get a good one. If you can swing a "brand name" tool you are usually miles ahead in the long run.

However, if you need clamps they have a good selection at great prices. Yeah, they are cheap and crude, but most of your clamping needs you don't need K-bodies. Have a few good clamps for when you need them and fill the wall with HF clamps for the grunt clamping that we all need to do. A 12" f-clamp for $1.95 is hard to pass up and if you spring or break it you don't cry when it hits the trash can.

Reply to
Bill B