HANDY FARM DEVICES

At one time, there were professional searchers - perhaps there still are. Back in college a friend of mine was a librarian and she specialized in searches. Back then electronic searches and data bases were a Spendy proposition and you were required to use the Pro for your search ($), Then you had to pay for the search time ($), then you had to pay for the short descriptions of the results ($$), then pay for the abstracts ($$$). I learned quite a bit about searching while doing my MS on my own dime.
<snip> I'm tried probably most of the search tools out there, and I still prefer google. Yay google.
http://www.copernic.com / Try Copernic... it uses multiple engines simultaneously and the paid for version roots out bad links, etc. Tom
Wed, Dec 21, 2005, 5:50am snipped-for-privacy@ewol.com (ThomasBunetta) doth adviseth: http://www.copernic.com/ Try Copernic... it uses multiple engines simultaneously and the paid for version roots out bad links, etc.
Tried it, long ago. I only use stuff like that on the very few occassions when I'm really, really, intensely, searching - along with Northern Light, Dogpile, and so on - told you, I've tried about all. Otherwise, still prefer google. Yay google.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
The Mark & Juanita entity posted thusly:

Searching with Google has some quirks to bear in mind, and requires some creativity.
Next time you find a page that has only a few of your keywords in it, check the page source. Chances are you will find those other keywords in parts of the source that are not visible.
Larry
--
There are 10 kinds of people --
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:52:08 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Oleg

The fact that site pages are spamming Google with keywords does nothing to help us with our seareches, PulledLeg.
--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
Mark & Juanita wrote:

The old computer adage, "GIGO" (garbage in, garbage out) applies to searching with Google and others as well.
You need to refine your search. If you haven't already tried it, try using the advanced search feature of Google and carefully craft your search parameters.
Using just the single search line and putting in sabre saw will net you your million or so hits. By adding a bit of specificity to the search you'll quickly pare that down and receive a more meaningful, useable result.
As for the first couple pages being more relevant to your search? That's the way Google is supposed to work. The way it tells you it's working.
Here's a link to their help page on refining your search:
http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:29:55 GMT, Unquestionably Confused

I'm quite aware of the advanced search features of Google. That is what is causing my frustration. If I tell Google that I want references that contain A AND B AND C but NOT D, I don't appreciate getting hits back that contain A AND B but NOT C or even worse, some combination of A, B, and C and also including D.
(Caps aren't shouting here, only added to indicate the boolean function)
Now, some of this may not be Google's fault, but it may be people burying other possible key words in their html source in order to increase hits to their sites. But that doesn't make the Google search any less useless or time-consuming.

Have you tried WebFerret? Sometimes I have better luck with it and it can hit all the major search engines in one hit.
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:42:32 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:36:29 -0700, Mark & Juanita

And, of course, if nothing else works:
http://answers.google.com/answers /
Ricky (never used it, btw)
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:20:22 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Yeah, I canceled my Google subscription and what I do now when I need to search for information is drive from town to town across the country knocking on doors and asking folks at random. Much more useful and much less time consuming.
:)
Ricky (who'd give up sliced bread before Google any day)
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:59:43 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark

Yes, I'm finding the same thing. And when I switched to A9, it came up with precisely the same hits as Google. The only advantage is that it also qualifies me for a 10% discount on all Amazon purchases, even on used books from their resellers!
We need to whine to them, not to ourselves, though. Let's all send them email detailing our gripes. If they get quite a few at one time, it just might sink in.