Handy disposable paper ruler

Page 1 of 2
These are all over the web, but maybe you never thought of using one in woodworking:
http://www.ceismc.gatech.edu/bp/images/ruler.pdf
(looks funny in the browser, but works fine after printing)
download and print off a few on regular paper on your best print resolution. In conjuction with spray adhesive, they are great for measuring inside curves (for the calculus deficient), or anytime you need a VERY thin measuring device on a flat surface.
Neat idea. Thanks.
Just be aware that most printers do not print exactly to scale, especially in the long direction on the paper (i.e., the direction that is perpendicular to the rollers in the printer), which is the direction that matters when printing this ruler out on anything other than a printer than can print 13" wide paper and up. So...after you print it out check it against a ruler that is known to be good.
Of course I got a metal ruler from a well know art & graphic design supply company and discovered that it was almost 1/16" off, so even metal rulers can be out of whack!

"Bruce Hooke" wrote in message

It makes not a whit of difference as long as it is the only measuring device you use on a project .. or use a story stick and forego "rulers" entirely.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Actually most printers do print to scale."IF" the software instructs it to.
What I have seen when printing plans is that the same drawing printed twice will match up EXACTLY in the direction that is parallel to the rollers but that there will be subtle variations in the direction that is perpendicular to the rollers. We're talking in the range of 1/64" here so maybe I am just being too picky -- it mostly shows up when I am trying to tile a drawing and then tape together the pieces of paper, which shows up variations very starkly because lines going from one sheet to the next do not match up. What I have always assumed was causing the problem was the slight variations in the friction between the feed rollers and the paper. Since I am seeing variations between printouts of the same drawing printed on the same printer I rather doubt that this is a software or driver issue...

On 2 Panasonic dot matrix printers, 2 Canon Ink Jet and 1 HP Ink Jet and using AutoCAD, I am always able to draw 1"=1" out put on tiled drawings. I used this on many occasions on all of these printers to produce exact templates to transfer designs to wood. Using index points to align the pages all lines meet up exactly and are exact in length. Perhaps you are not taking into consideration margins of the printers.
Good grief...not taking the margins into account would throw things off by a lot more than 1/64"! All I can say is that with the printers I have used I have seen the variations I have described over and over again and for the reasons I listed it is pretty clear that this is an issue with the printers not the computer.
At the least this should be sufficient to support the case that anyone using this ruler should double-check it against a known ruler (unless they plan to only use this ruler for a given job). Heck, it's good to double check any new ruler against a known ruler.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 03:32:54 +0000, Bruce Hooke wrote:

Not saying it's the case with the example you described earlier, but the moisture content of the paper from day to day can have affect one's results. (I did DTP for a few years.)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

Bruce Hooke wrote:

On 13 Oct 2004 12:38:13 -0700, of_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (todd the wood junkie) wrote:

They're also one of Ikea's more useful products, and they're a great price !
--
Smert' spamionam

Handy to keep folded up in your wallet for use at any time. I've often used just a plain sheep of paper to estimate a dimension since I know the actual size.

I've measured plenty of pieces in museums using ruled paper from the notebook I was writing in. Of course this is easier in the UK with feint ruling - our lines are printed light, but go the whole width of the page.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:47:51 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

Simple typos can lead to the most amusing images. I'm thinking Philip K. Dick, here.
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:47:51 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

Isn't everyone's? A4, right?
Too much coffee: feint lines look like regular faint lines, but don't point where you think they do...
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:02:54 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

No - American paper (well Chinese paper as it is now) is often cheap, shiny with far too much filler, and ruled with black dotted lines that stop short of the edges. It doesn't look too bad, but it photocopies dreadfully.
If you're a fountain pen user it's getting hard to find decent journals - ink takes an age to dry on this shiny paper. I generally favour Moleskines, but they're a bit small. I should try some of the Lee Valley journals.
--
Smert' spamionam

Never tried Lee Valley. I buy most of my stuff at: www.pendemonium.com
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:30:53 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

Drifting OT here, but look into www.levenger.com. They sell paper for fountain pen users.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

I always heard that too baaaaaad measurements. ;)
--
be safe.
flip
On 13 Oct 2004 12:38:13 -0700, of_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (todd the wood junkie) wrote:

actually, I have one glued to the fence on my RAS, but I wasn't going to admit it here before you brought it up..
On 13 Oct 2004 12:38:13 -0700, of_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (todd the wood junkie) wrote:

I've just laid my ruler on the photocopier and gotten something that works for rough measurement.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com