Handy disposable paper ruler

Have you tried this recently?

Very few printing companies use film anymore. It's all direct-to-plate now-- works like a laserprinter, but puts out an aluminum printing plate instead of film or paper. A few companies can still generate film, but it's dying out fast.

A good stainless steel ruler will last forever (unless it gets stolen), so it's a good investment. If you can't find exactly what you want, a bit of time with Google probably will.

Reply to
Ron Bean

Can't you get a whack refill kit for when its out?

Reply to
Eugene

0r, as a less expensive alternative, you can print that file or one you scan yourself on a transparency sheet in a laser or ink jet printer..
Reply to
mac davis

You may be right, but you can always print them out on transparency film at home. (At least, last time I checked you could) No doubt an average Kinko's would have some kind of printable plastic, though not necessarily film.

Agreed. I like steel rulers- the aluminum ones I'm not so fond of, after bending a couple, but the steel ones are nice.

Reply to
Prometheus

Drifting OT here, but look into

They sell paper for fountain pen users.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Thanks I downloaded it. Then I thought why? I already have an scan of my Try-square that I made when testing the focus of the scanner. We'll see which prints out more accurately, scanners can introduce subtle errors in size as well as printers.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Staples, OfficeMax, etc all have transparency film for inkjet and laser printers that is intended for use with overhead projectors. Make sure that the one you get lists your printer as compatible--there are some variations in coating with the inkjet films that make a difference in how the ink takes. Just check after you print and make sure that it's actually accurate--some printers leave a little to be desired in the linearity department and the dimensions aren't always exactly what you thought they would be either.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Do scanners work like photocopiers? If so, there is a slight reduction in size in the copy that needs to be adjusted for accuracy.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Of course or at least close enough. I think you are referring to a copy function. But you don't have to use the copy function, just scan. the result you get is of course a file which has nothing to do with the size of anything. It is your soft ware and printer that will determine how accurate the thing will be when you print it.

The paper ruler is just a scan of some ruler. I printed it and the total length was indeed accurate, but using two different rules some of the inch lines in the middle didn't line up. That suggests to me that the ruler ws not flat on the scanner, or was imperfect.

I have tested my 99cent HF (3/4 by 16 feet) tape rule and found it highly accurate compared to a Starrett Try-square. I could cut that up and make a bunch of very accurate highly readable scales.

BTW, I have a Starrett that is marked as such and a second Try-square which I think is a Starrett and looks exactly like my other Try-square. It is marked on the non grooved side:

No. 23 The L.S.S. Co. No. 4 Athol, Mass. U.S.A

I am wondering if anyone can tell me where this old try-square fits into the Starrett line and history, if it does. Thanks

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

They still use film to make printed circuit boards. Check out something called a photoplotter. Many of them print Postscript files, and they are quite accurate.

Reply to
kenR

kenR did say:

You are correct. I make them all the time from postscript output. It's critical to calibrate your printer/driver. postscript contains scaling information that make it quite accurate.

Reply to
WoodMangler