Hake brush for shellac?

Has anyone used goat hair brushes for shellac? I used squirrel hair but larger sizes are expensive.
Badger. Had me going, as a Hake is a fish, and to my knowledge, scales make a terrible brush.

larger
Taklon fiber makes an amazing shellac brush. A little pricey but IMHO worth it. The material flows out of the brush so evenly, it really does nice work. And I don't consider myself very tallented with a brush.
Try http://www.homesteadfinishing.com /
David

I use a rubber rather then a brush even if I am not trying to do a French polish
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
Mike G wrote:

Doesn't the alcohol eat the latex eventually?
Smart ass ;-)
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
Mike G wrote:

No, it doesn't go on your *ass*.
Depends on how big an area needs shellacking
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
On 04 Mar 2004 17:30:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BErney1014) wrote:

Either works, but synthetic is better. I use cheap Taklon brushes and keep one for each grade / colour of shellac. I don't clean them afterwards, just wipe them off and then re-soften them in meths before use. I have used expensive ones, but the cheapies are just as good - synthetic bristles don't shed. 3/4" filberts are about the best size overall.
I've not found a hake that worked with shellac. It's a nice idea, but the bristles were too soft.
--
Smert' spamionam

Did you use short bristle Hake? I've never owned a goat hair brush but I noticed they have two styles, long and short. I was getting "glass" results from squirrel using a 1 lb cut. No brush marks on overlaps, I worked quickly. My feeling is the lighter the cut, the softer the brush can be. I'll get some taklon wash brushes and try them. Thanks