guitar stand plans

I have searched in vain for an attractive and functional guitar stand design. Seems the best functional design is the metal stand I already have. More attractive wooden stands all seem defective functionally in one way or another, either from the standpoint of stability or the way it cradles the instrument. Anyone here have a recommendation?

Use the metal version. <G>
Barry

I made one for my son some years ago from plans by James Reyne the former lead singer of Australian Crawl. I'll post a pic to a.b.p.w and if you like it I can post the 'how to' from Better Homes and Gardens May 1999 if you can't find a copy.
Gordon
What the heck is a.b.p.w. (sorry for being lame) and a "how to" would be great. Anything I ever came up with (in my head anyway) involved lamination and bending. Later, Chiz

Alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking It is a news group that allows pictures good luck finding it Brian

www.delorie.com/wood has some of the pictures from the two woodworking binary groups, a.b.p.woodworking and a.b.p.furniture
On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:02:10 GMT, "brian c"

That newsgroup is not available on my server. Could you post a jpg, which seems to be ok here?

Here's a link to some pics of one I made my son. I had a radiused lamination (or 3 ) laying around and thought it would work nicely for a stand.
I found that there aren't many plans out there for stands , so just wing it and use your imagination.
http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.com/2guitarstandpics.jpg
http://whitebuffalo32.rorymisener.com/guitarstand.jpg

Now that's a nice guitar stand.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

John The radiused lamination ( back of stand ) was originally made to be used for some baseboard we were making for curved walls but the person who supplied the template had the wrong radius so the pieces were scrapped and new ones had to be made -my company wanted to throw the screwed up pcs into the dumpster but I got the owner to let me have them
The lamination form was made appox on a 32" radius(its been appox 1 year since we did that one so I'm not sure). the finish glued up piece is up made from 12 pcs of 1/8" x 8" poplar. ( the glueup finish thickness after sanding is appox 1-1/2") - I could take some pics of other forms(culls) we've recently made if you want to see how we do it
The final shape design was arrived with after drawing multiple versions on the piece until I found one I liked. I then bandsawed the shape , The bandsawing was a pain since the piece couldn't sit flat but doing it slowly ( and cautiously) it turned out nice The diamond cutout was made by band sawing up from the bottom and reglueing the saw kerf back together.
The edges were routed with a 1/4" radius bit in a laminate trimmer ( where ever I could use it ) and any other edges that couldn't be routed were sanded to match the routers cut.
I used alcohol based red dye for the coloring The "feet" are made from some slightly curly maple scraps I had layinf around All 3 parts of the stand were covered with a poly finish (prior to assembly) and the 3 points where the guitar rests were then covered with red felt.
Basicly I didn't have any plans when I started , just an idea , a sketch pad and the guitar I'll try to figure out how to post a few pics at a.b.p.woodworking after I get some shots of the lamination forms we make or you can drop me a email and I could send some of them to you

Check these out for some ideas:
http://woodcentral.com/contests/guitarstand/contest_guitarstandresults.shtml
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Web site Gordon, web site. At least yours was a small file, but text is text and binary aint. I saw it over on the binaries group - must be your isp if you didn't see it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Anyway you were gentle with me, thank you.
Gordon