The radiused lamination ( back of stand ) was originally made to be
used for some baseboard we were making for curved walls but the person
who supplied the template had the wrong radius so the pieces were
scrapped and new ones had to be made -my company wanted to throw the
screwed up pcs into the dumpster but I got the owner to let me have
The lamination form was made appox on a 32" radius(its been appox 1
year since we did that one so I'm not sure).
the finish glued up piece is up made from 12 pcs of 1/8" x 8" poplar. (
the glueup finish thickness after sanding is appox 1-1/2") -
I could take some pics of other forms(culls) we've recently made if you
want to see how we do it
The final shape design was arrived with after drawing multiple versions
on the piece until I found one I liked.
I then bandsawed the shape , The bandsawing was a pain since the piece
couldn't sit flat but doing it slowly ( and cautiously) it turned out
The diamond cutout was made by band sawing up from the bottom and
reglueing the saw kerf back together.
The edges were routed with a 1/4" radius bit in a laminate trimmer (
where ever I could use it ) and any other edges that couldn't be routed
were sanded to match the routers cut.
I used alcohol based red dye for the coloring
The "feet" are made from some slightly curly maple scraps I had layinf
All 3 parts of the stand were covered with a poly finish (prior to
and the 3 points where the guitar rests were then covered with red
Basicly I didn't have any plans when I started , just an idea , a
sketch pad and the guitar
I'll try to figure out how to post a few pics at a.b.p.woodworking
after I get some shots of the lamination forms we make
or you can drop me a email and I could send some of them to you