Guidance please for building a curved lamination

Page 2 of 2

Is the top like this ???
http://www.woodsmith.com/plans/armoire /
If similar, I would use their(Woodsmith) method which requires NO bending....
I bought a back copy of Woodsmith for another project and this armoire just happen to be in that issue. Very interesting method of making the curved top.
Use multiple pieces and a router.
Dick Snyder wrote:

Here is a link to what my daughter wants me to build.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_8/602-0450012-2843051?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin 00CCEV92
As you can see the top is a complex curve but I may just build a simple curve. The top is 12" deep and has to span the book case which is 45" wide. I couldn't guess from the woodsmith link you sent in your posting what they did to build the curved top unless it is only a false front edge and the inside (behind the curved front edge) is really flat.
Dick

Dick Snyder wrote: > Here is a link to what my daughter wants me to build. > > http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_8/602-0450012-2843051?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin 00CCEV92 > > As you can see the top is a complex curve but I may just build a simple > curve. The top is 12" deep and has to span the book case which is 45" wide.
Looked at the piece.
Interesting, but not too difficult.
My guess is you will spend more time building the fixture than you will laminating the piece.
As a suggestion, look at Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.
As you can imagine, there are lots of laminations when you build a boat.
Lew
The top is three pieces all cut with a router and templates.
You need to buy the article to get a full understanding of what the guy did.
It appears to be very similar to the piece at Target.