grr-ripper opinions

Page 2 of 3
says...

Gentlemen, gentlemen!! Check this book out at your library and read just the first chapter.
Max

let me try that again. :-)
http://tinyurl.com/29elvby
Max

OK, I'm game. Why just the first chapter?

MUCH better this time, Maxxy.

Dayum, another one I have to buy. I still haven't gotten into David Crystal's _How Language Works_. My stack of "to be read" books has gone from a stack into an entire 7' tall bookcase, but I do make headway every now and then.
Question: Have you been able to watch television again after reading that book? I think that it might make it harder for ya. (I already gave up TV nearly 4 years ago. Amazon and the library are my closest friends.)
-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill
says...

I'm on my second Kindle. Saves trips to the library. I have on occasion watched Nova, Nat'l Geo, Discovery, and, if I'm particularly bored, I'll watch part of a football game. I watched Faux news once and it scared me.
Maxie. (but only to friends)
When the evidence overwhelmingly supports the proposition it would be perverse to deny it. S. J. Gould

You didn't answer this one.

It's a bit more expensive than the library, but I'm sure it saves lots of time and hassles. They put a self-check scanner in our local branch so I can be in and out of there, dropping off books and grabbing another armful, in 5 minutes. But they're only open about 20 hours/week. Kindle has WIFI, eh?

I'm glad I'd swallowed my tea before reading that line, ya wuss.

Rightio!
-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill
says...

Ah, the first chapter only question. It occurs to me that the individuals involved aren't the sort who might be willing to slog through the rest of the tome. (interesting how closely the spelling is to "tomb".) But they need only the first chapter to discover that semantics often determine one's whole way of thinking and that disagreements often arise when someone has not the lexical dexterity to phrase his/her opinion precisely as required for clear understanding or the recipient of an opinion lacks the vocabulary to accurately interpret what was intended. On the other hand, one or the other of the fine gentlemen might be a bit of a pedant. Or maybe someone pissed in their Cheerios.
Max
On 10/24/10 9:37 PM, Max wrote:

wow, Max. Are you trying to be arrogant and condescending or does it just come natural? :-)
--

-MIKE-

I left out the possibility that, using an old expression of mine, "maybe the fire ants are in hibernation". I have several friends who, in their idle moments, descend into confrontational arguments. These folks are highly intelligent compatriots and ordinarily present cogent reasoning in any discussion in which they engage. ( I suspect the same applies to you and your antagonist) but when "the fire ants are hibernating" and my friends don't have to direct their attention to eradication activities (they aren't "busy") they join in debate over relative trivia. I have on a number of occasions read your worthy posts and was a bit surprised at the time you devoted to a more or less pointless diversion. The same applies to your opponent.
(Oh...... the book is a challenge. That's why I used the words "slog" and "tomb". I suspect that the author needs to produce a certain number of publications and has run out of ideas for letters to the editor)
Yours for increased sawdust production, Max (as you can well imagine I don't have a problem with fire ants)
On 10/25/10 10:17 AM, Max wrote:

In here? Never.

I'm stealing that fire ants thing.

I have a few that are a challenge to read because it seems the author tried too hard to create paragraphs from what should be sentences, chapters from paragraphs and a book from what should have been a chapter.
I have a few others that are a challenge because there's so much packed into each paragraph, my brain hurts after only a few pages.

peace.
--

-MIKE-

Mmm, hmm. That bad, eh?

They's a passel of boaf dem types herebouts.

Or C) Both of the Above.
-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.
The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.
The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda
On 10/23/10 7:15 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Now, you're projecting. You obviously just want the last word.
--

-MIKE-

They sell lemons at Harbor Freight
They sell tomatoes at Woodcraft, now?
--

<advertising snipped>

They sell lemons at Harbor Freight
They sell tomatoes at Woodcraft, now?
--

<advertising snipped>

"J. Clarke" wrote:

---------------------------------------- When I get bored or things are a little slow on the wrec, I like to play a little game I call, "Me Pavlov, You dog".
If nothing else, it generates a little activity on the wrec.
You never know when I'm going to play this little game with you: however, I must complement you for your ability to fulfill your part in our little game without the necessity of a script.
Pavlov would have been proud.
The game is now over until the next time.
Lew

Really? You've been doing a lot of barking. Did Pavlov Bark?
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

I see. So you're basically a child who likes to stir up anthills. When you grow up, have a third party let me know and I'll let you out of the killfile again.

The second you release pressure, for whatever reason, what happens to the piece of wood between the blade and the fence? I have more trust in a traditional push shoe with a hooked aft end.
"Father Haskell" wrote:

happens to the piece of wood between the blade and the fence? I have more trust in a traditional push shoe with a hooked aft end. ---------------------------------- I'll add a splitter and an anti-kick back in those situations unless cutting edge banding (1/4" thick strips), which is a special case.
Lew

Keeping the fence dead parallel to the blade is the best anti-kickback device. With a heavy, overbuilt fence such as a Biesemeyer, alignment is a maybe once every two years task.
In article <481ca263-fc4c-4a96-a430-1de4b70541f3@

The same thing that always happens when you release pressure. Part of skill comes in not releasing pressure.

Which only works on an edge.