Grizzly Praise! Who would of thought?

I do personally prefer to buy American tools if they are still made here, are affordable or are the best for the job at any cost. But there seems to be a fair collection of Chiwanese gear around the shop these days.
Anyway,
I had a drill press motor on my Grizzly go insane on me and since I live within easy driving distance of Williamsport Grizzly, I took it in today.
No magic smoke escaped as far as I could tell.
I was only expecting them to evaluate it.
They did and took it apart and repaired the contacts and pressed in new bearings while I waited! N/C!
I was impressed. Now I know they recognise my face, if not my name, from my frequent trips in there, maybe that helped, but then again, for a couple dollars of Chinese parts, I walked out a happy customer. That was to their benefit all the way around.
It took them long enough for me to pick up a couple new bar clamps while I waited!
James

If they're reading your account, they'll be slower next time. :o)

Driving distance to a Grizz outlet? I'd be in trouble....
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:02:01 -0600, the inscrutable "Knothead"
You betcha! It's bad enough living close to a Harbor Freight store.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications ===================================================

I mentioned to the LOML yesterday that I thought Bellingham, WA would be a good place to live.
Can't put one over her, she jumped right on that one "why so you could live next door to grizzly?"

I visited that store once in a car. And felt so inadequate. Went home with a catalog and visions of shops dancing in my head. Since that time, I have helped set up a number of shops for friends with grizzly tools. Had the same problem everytime. We had trouble fitting everything into a pickup bed. Except the time we were smart and rented a bigger truck.
Another benefit of shopping at the stores is that they often have some great deals on some "stratch and bent" tools on the floor. I remember a friend looking longingly at some metal tools being offered at a good price. He turned to me and said, 'It is almost a good enough deal for me to take up metalworking".
Say what you want about grizzly. Being in the store is an exercise in tool induced helplessness. A totally corrupting experience. Welcome to the dark side of woodworking.
I hate to admit that in the past few the family vacations seem to go to Branson MO, Lake of the Ozarks etc and well just down the road apiece is....

That seems like a self limiting problem. Its sort of like living near a Denny's. It wouldn't make you go out to eat all the time.
--
Chris Richmond | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:47:35 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@filc8046.fm.intel.com (Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~) spake:

It's not. Just as you'd like to try every single dish at Denny's, you need to buy tools for every skillset they cover. Taht includes woodworking, metalworking, gardening, auto repair, welding, carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, ad nauseum.
"It's a never ending story, I tell ya." he grinned.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications ===================================================
I _hate_ to be a pedant but
who would 'have' thought...
Nicholas
--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net
writes:

Or is it thunk?