Grizzly Planer knife setting

I have a G0453 Grizzly 15" planer that I love except when it's time for knife replacement. This planer uses a knife gauge that you set above the knives and adjust the jack screws to make the knives barely touch the knife jig. I hate it. My old Delta 12" uses springs in place of jack screws and this method is easy and quick.
Since the G0453 has no options for springs a it's brother the G0454 does, I ordered springs from the G0454 parts manual in hopes they might work on the G0453. Springs are too big to fit in recess.
I have tried to find them at HD and Lowes to no avail.
Has anyone tried to retrofit their planer/jointer with springs? Anyone know of source for small springs?
--
Frank Howell

Hi, Frank -
I got a variety assortment of steel springs (from about 3 mm in diameter to about 8 and varying lengths) at Ace hardware - prolly have them in your area too ;) for like $1.29....
Think they had smaller ones too....
D'ohBoy

Duud:
HD and Lowes are a disaster. They are set up to provide everything to do projects that they have defined - ONLY. They are NOT hardware stores. It is a foregone conclusion that any trip to HD will require an additional trip to Ace or True Value for that extra bit or weird screw that a real Hardware Store always carries.
I try to buy a little extra overpriced crap at my local Ace when I stop in, cuz if they weren't in bidness, I'd have to drive like 30 miles each way for a 10 cent bolt.
D'ohBoy
D'ohBoy wrote:

I can't count the number of times I've been to Lowe's or Home Depot in recent years looking for an item that I knew they carried, only to discover they *used* to carry it. Bastages!
--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."
Steve Turner wrote:

Plenty of toasters, though.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, and not just them. Next time you're in Sears look for a half inch open end wrench.

Depends on where you live, I guess. Formerly from the SFBA, I was always able to find everything I need at HD/Lowe's. I must confess, Orchard Supply Hardware, a local chain, bought out by Sears, was a great fallback for those really obscure items like ss button head cap screws and horseshoe nails, but HD/Lowes's was always cheaper and covered more gen construction ground. Now, living in rural CO, I must depend on the new TVH and a couple local lumber stores. Between them, they cover my needs. Yeah, I have to drive 10-20 miles, but that's the penalty for escaping the urban environment.
nb
D'ohBoy wrote:

Alright! I'll have to try them.
--
Frank Howell

Frank, go to a lock shop. They have an assortment of small, strong springs that may meet your needs. The Delta springs look like lock springs.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

Thanks. A lock shop, who would have thought.
--
Frank Howell