Grizzly 8" Jointer - Model G0593

I'm looking to upgrade my old Delta benchtop jointer and wanted some feedback on the Grizzly 8" Jointer with spiral cutting head. I've read some good reviews as well as some guys that will not tough a Grizzly product. So what's your opinion? I have access to a Delta DJ-20 X5 for around $800, which is not a spiral cutting head or the Grizzly 8" delivered with a mobile base for $1,148.90.

Michael in Dallas

Reply to
Gaziger

Our son-in-law has owned a G0500 (?) which is a three-knife predicessor. It is a great machine. In fact I believe Fine Woodworking gave one of the two a very high rating. Unusual because Grizzly is not one of their advertisers and they seldom recognize their existance.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I own this exact machine and I can tell you from the heart, buy it, you won't regret it. The fit and finish of this machine is nothing short of spectacular. The cut is smooth as glass. With the indexable carbide cutters that can be rotated three times before replacement, you will be jointing a heck of a lot of stock before you have to replace them. Plus they send you an extra set of carbide cutters with the machine. Ya just can't beat that. Rotating the carbide cutters takes all of a few minutes. NO MORE will you have to worry about getting the height of your knives set correctly. Once the cutters are rotated, you're back in business.

When I received my machine the first thing I noticed was how long and incredibly flat that 75 inch bed was. The finish on the cast iron bed and fence was a mirror finish, very highly polished and dead flat. The extra long bed is just a joy to look at and work on.

One other thing you will notice is that it doesn't matter which way you feed your stock. With the grain, against the grain, doesn't matter, it comes out looking as if the board has been polished with a buffing pad. If you are jointing wood with figured grain, you will definitely come to appreciate this jointer very quickly.

I can only speak for myself and will honestly tell you that I know that I made the correct decision when I purchased this machine. It is a machine without equal in its class, both price wise and performance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve wrote: : I own this exact machine and I can tell you from the heart, buy it, : you won't regret it. The fit and finish of this machine is nothing : short of spectacular. The cut is smooth as glass. With the indexable : carbide cutters that can be rotated three times before replacement, : you will be jointing a heck of a lot of stock before you have to : replace them. Plus they send you an extra set of carbide cutters with : the machine. Ya just can't beat that. Rotating the carbide cutters : takes all of a few minutes. NO MORE will you have to worry about : getting the height of your knives set correctly. Once the cutters are : rotated, you're back in business.

: One other thing you will notice is that it doesn't matter which way : you feed your stock. With the grain, against the grain, doesn't : matter, it comes out looking as if the board has been polished with a : buffing pad. If you are jointing wood with figured grain, you will : definitely come to appreciate this jointer very quickly.

: I can only speak for myself and will honestly tell you that I know : that I made the correct decision when I purchased this machine. It is : a machine without equal in its class, both price wise and performance.

: Steve

I'm curious about how it is that these machines produce such a good surface -- seems to be better than on a standard jointer. But each cutting edge is parallel to the beds of the jointer, right? So how can is cut better than a standard blade does?

On a true spiral-blade jointer, the blade's edge is skewed, and I understand why that would produce a smoother finish (esp. on figured woods), since it lowers to effective cutting angle.

-- Andy barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I think if you have the money, do it. I know one person who bought a sprial cutterhead - the one with the single indexing carbide cutters, not the other kind, and he's really happy with it.

I came into a little bit of money and was able to get the G0586 which can be converted to a spiral cutterhead but didn't have enough to get the spiral. Later I think I'll be able to afford the conversion kit. It costs me more this way I know but if I'd waited till I had the money I'd still be waiting and I'm quite happy with this 75 inch bed.

But if I coulda, I woulda.

Reply to
else24

I do understand what you're saying. I think probably, and I'm no mechanical engineer, is that with the spiral cutterhead, carbide cutter inserts, and the fact that there are four rows of cutters on the head, you have all of these things combining together to provide an exceptional cut.

I can tell you from practical experience that I don't think that you could improve the finish of the cut on this jointer. It is something that you would have to see for yourself.

I do know that Byrd makes a Shelix Head replacement for the G0593. This cutterhead allows the carbide inserts to be angled to the face of the wood, so a true shear cut is produced. Honestly though, I would just find it hard to believe that the finished cut would be any better than what I'm already getting.

I would really love to see a tool review where they take one Jointer such as the Grizzly G0586 & G0593 (the 586 is the same jointer as the

593 except that the 586 has HSS knives) and run tests with straight high speed steel knives, helix spiral HSS knives, a spiral carbide cutterhead, and a Byrd shelix carbide cutterhead and find out which produces the best cut and if there is really any marginal difference in performance over cost and maintanence.

Steve

Reply to
Steve