Grizzly 1023S Arrival !

So far so good with my new G1023S... Received the saw yesterday, moved it on to the mobile base, and removed the ear wax. In the process of installing 220 in the garage. The fit and finish is superb. Checked for miter slot to blade (Freud LU84R011) squareness - 0.0011" out of the box. I won't be tweaking that. Have not yet looked at table flatness - can't find my feeler guages. Starrett tape for fence rail still in transit, but am determined to make a cut before day's end!!! Can't wait!!

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Do you have a picture of the RAS? How tough is your place to get to, I am not a big city person?

Thanks

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
ToolMiser

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:38:22 -0600, Brian wrote (in message ):

Keep us posted. I am right now in the process of making a decision on buying a cabinet saw. Right now the players seem to be;

  • General (350-xx)
  • Grizzly (1023z)
  • Shopfox (???) -- which depending on who you believe is not the exact same as the 1023.
  • Delta Unisaw

I'm still trying to locate somebody who sells the General line somewhere close to me so I can check it out in person. After getting my Grizzly 14" bandsaw though, I might just buy the 1023z sight unseen and hope it's as high a quality as the bandsaw is.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Brissette

I have the G1023SL and like it allot. However, if a Unisaw is in your budget, I'd go for it.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:10:48 -0600, V.E. Dorn wrote (in message ):

Why? I looked at one (overpriced) locally here at Woodcraft and it's nice, but I'm not sure it's 2.5 times nicer than the Grizzly (of which I haven't seen yet).

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Brissette

Ultimately, you have to be happy with your purchase. If you want the Griz, go for it because I'm sure you'll be happy. I'm simply saying that if you can afford a Unisaw, you have other options that are not open to many others and you may not want to jump into anything until you have satisfactorily researched - it's a lifetime tool, get what you want.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

I just finished setting up my g1023slx. Man what a sweet saw! My only complaint is the shop fox extention table. Don't get it, build your own!.

Outside of that it's a SWEET saw!!!!

Reply to
Just Dave

First, I'd like to dispell a couple myths regarding the G1023 saws:

1) The G1023SL is heavier than the G1023S because it has a larger table. False. For some reason Grizzly, on the website, advertises the right tilt G1023S as being slightly smaller and lighter (360 pounds) than its left tilt companion. This is untrue. My right tilt G1023S has the same table dimensions as its left tilt version, and weighs 420 pounds according to the included owner's manual - just like the left tilt saw.

2) The Shop Fox version of the saw is heavier and built better. False. Download both Owner's Manuals in PDF format and find the specifications pages in each. Weight of each saw is identical. They are the same saw.

Now with regards to the Unisaw, I personally would not buy one over the Grizzly 1023. I have used both, and truly believe that there is no compelling reason to spend more on a Unisaw. I guess people tend to think that the out of the box defect rate will be lower with Delta than with Grizzly, and I have no way to dispute or verify that. But when it comes to things such as fit and finish, and studiness they are one in the same. Furthermore, inspect the castings of the trunions, the table top, the cast wings, etc, on each and see if you'd still plonk down more for the Unisaw. I wouldn't.

However, if it were in my budget, I *would* be compelled to spend the money on either a General 350 or a Powermatic 66. Not because I think the woodworking performance of either is appreciably better, but because of the fine details that I can be picky about.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Glad to hear it. I am looking at one myself. I can't justify the high price of the Unisaw. BTW, what is wrong with the shop fox extension table?

Reply to
Tbone

I think you left out a letter there. shouldn't that have been "studliness"?

Reply to
Bridger

I've had my 1023S since September '03 and am quite pleased with all the hardware provided by Grizzly. In fact, I was reading a recent thread above about the "nickel test" and find that my 1023S passes the test both in the start up and in the running modes. Moreover, the saw seems to make accurate cuts with both the supplied miter gauge and Shop Fox fence. I too purchased the Grizzly extension table, but have a few questions:

1) When one buys the table as an option as well as the extended rails for the fence he/she ends up with two pairs of support legs for the right end of the saw. Not sure why one must have to pay for these and it's not clear what one does with an extra pair of legs. (one needs two more for another project or perhaps they could be incorporated in an outfeed table.) On the whole, however, the table from Grizzly is fine, but they could have invested about a $1.00 more and added formica to the end panel rather than leaving it as bare wood.

2) Secondly, when one buys the optional table, the right-hand cast iron wing ends up as an extra item. It seems a shame to have a nice flat wing sitting in the garage still coated in cosmoline. Has anyone out there installed the right-hand cast iron wing and shortened the optional table by

10"? In this way one has the larger, flatter cast iron surface as well as the wood-based extension table. To my mind, this would be a better setup, but is there any potential problems with stability (too heavy on the right or something)?

Really have enjoyed the various ideas on this newsgroup and would appreciate any input on this issue.

Sincerely.,

Reply to
tefgaf

I have the Griz 1023 and built the extension table myself. I replaced the stock Fox-something fence that came with the Griz, with the Vega fence and extended rails that were on the saw I was replacing. I left the cast table extensions on both sides of the saw table installed. ( I couldn't stand the thought of discarding such perty thangs). I then shortened the self made extension table to compensate for leaving the cast iron extension installed. Enough room was left to install a router table affair in the extension table. The fence rails tie the whole thing together, and I haven't experienced any downside to the arrangement. One other thing I did was to modify the mounting bracket for, and the location of, the magnetic on/off switch. That may not be necessary if you are using a Bies clone fence and rails, I don't remember if that was the deciding factor in moving the switch. I love the saw, I love the fence, and I love my wife, but that's a whole other story.

Hope this helps.

Bejay

Reply to
Bob Jones

I have a 1023sl Tablesaw,g0555 bandsaw, 1182zhw jointer, 1035 shaper and the 1029 dust collector. They all are good to me. I have no complaints.

Reply to
dcc

[snip]

Wayne,

I have the NON z version. I am not sure I would want the z version with the front and back locking fence. I was in an airport yeserday and came across the FWW/FHB tool guide. In the cabinet saw review, the Grizzly z series didn't fair well because the fence "didn't always lock square". This is the second time I have seen that comment in a magazine review. I have never had this problem with my shop fox classic (biesemeyer clone), it is solid as a rock. In my opinion, Grizzly shoots themselves in the foot by supplying the z series for these tests. Just because the z is more expensive doesn't make it better.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp