Got a Check today!

I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a tip 5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change it up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or publication if I cash the check.
They will not necessarily publish the tip.
Has any one else received payment for a tip? Any gotcha's after accepting?
Leon wrote:

Wood mag published one of mine in their print mag and paid $75. The contract stated exclusivity for 6 months. The publication was well after 6 months, so I'm thinking of sending them an invoice for another 75 bucks. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Accepted a payment for an Oops! once. No exclusivity there and I wasn't planning on repeating it.

I recently rec'd a mailer for Wood magazine, 3 yrs for like $19 or something (I forget, but it was cheap).
I just got the first issue (Oct. 2009), and the winning tipster got a big Dremel tool package. The tip: USING A F'n POLYETHELENE CUTTING BOARD TO MAKE ROUTER TEMPLATES!
Fer chrissakes, I've seen that tip, like 50 times.
So, tell me your tips and I'll resubmit and maybe get a Dremel tool or something.
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

Is that a prize or a penalty?
--

-MIKE-

And, how much was this cheque for? If they do publish the tip, will your name be attached to the article? That might be something to consider.

5,000 cents
I really don't care to see my name in the magazine. I am thinking the readers would say, they put that "Putz's" tip in???? LOL
The tip was soooo simple minded that there would be no need for an article, a sketch on a napkin would be more than enough.
The tip was to use a bar clamp, K-body style as an index to return a rip fence on a TS back to a previously positioned location. Not totally unlike using a block of wood on a miter gauge fence to make repeated length cross cuts.

I got a $50 check from Fine Woodworking for a 4-sentance tip. Haven't seen it published yet.
writes:

IIRC mine was a 2 sentence tip with a simple picture of a clamp on my rip fence front bar.
Leon wrote:

... Like what are you thinking there might be to be concerned about?
Unless you think clearly it has some other more lucrative commercial value than they're giving or really, really, really want to do something else with it, what's to lose? (And, fundamentally, what can they do to prevent you from doing something else with it, anyway; are they going to run a search engine from now 'til doomsday to make sure it never shows up somewhere else? Yes, I know, there's the agreement thing and honor, and all that, I'm just pointing out (the obvious)...)
Of course, you'll be including it as Misc Income on a 1040, right? :)
d&r'ing, now... ;>}