Google's New Free CAD software: Want to Collaborate?

Page 3 of 3

alexy wrote:

I don't think I'd depend on that policy being permanent - I said in June it was going to be a baiting effort; I still think it is. They just want a well entrenched user base before they end the freebie. So, if you're playing with it, great; but do NOT depend on it if you don't plan to eventually pay for it. You'll likely end up with orphaned dwgs or looking for crackers. Also, look for a big drop in the Pro pricetag when the freebie ends, purportedly to make it easier on those who are "hooked" on it. Maybe in the form of a "special deal" for Beta testing. AVOID EVER DEPENDING ON A BETA FOR ANY REASON!!
Pop
Pop wrote: <snip>

today's posting. I remember reading it and thinking, well maybe in this case, Google might be different. Wishful thinking -- they're a publicly traded company who are going to have to answer to Wall Street's demand of continually maximizing profits, and your outline/predictions do summarize a very savvy, if not predatory, strategy to gain market share. When the small competitors are driven out, then the resulting oligopoly can then pluck the consumers.
(Pop: I'd have sent this privately, but it looks like the only way to reach you is to post publicly; I acknowledge this is getting far from the topic of woodworking.)
John L. Poole wrote:

Regards,
Pop`
I agree that it is not off topic. Design tools are the first step in any project, be they paper and pencil, a quick sketch on a piece of wood, or, more and more these days, cad.

compatible with the free version, and exports to a bunch of standard file formats. And it runs for 8 hours of machine time, plenty of time to export lots of files if your direst predictions come true.

alexy wrote:

lol, I hope you're right for your sake! That's a lot of trust for one to put into BETA software and backward compatability for the Released version!
If you guys really want to know, why don't you go after Google and get the word from the horse's (whichever end you prefer here)? They're the ones with the answers. In fact, this might even make an interesting Google search exercise. I'll bet they're counting and tagging posts like this. BETA sofware is ONLY good for play, not for work!
Pop

None at all. I've tested it against the demo version of the commercial software, on one of my computers. I'm not counting on some future release.
<snip>

Yep, and Google is pretty explicit about that--this version is for personal non-commercial use only. For work, you should be using the commercial version.

John L. Poole wrote:

Check C:\Windows\system for... allfsaf4a.ocx machnm1.exe mfc42u.dll mpiwin32.dll
All are added by the install. If left, the time thing may be in one (didn't see any in registry but there are a ton & I didn't peruse them carefully).
There are also a number of files in Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\ In particular, there is apparently license info in the cab file...at least, such is referenced by layout.bin. The cab file isn't readable with normal zip compression programs - Winrar & PowerArchiver at least.
--

dadiOH
James E. Cannon wrote:

I knew one of you wouild be along shortly here! Just because you know what the processes end up being in cases like this does not in any way mean the masses do. It's also called venting and getting it off their chests and lots of other healthy things. When I read your short post I thought to myself, "Well, then why are YOU bitching about other people bitching?" But I just thought it; I won't say it out loud. Shh, don't tell anyone! So I says to msyelf, "Self, ... ."
Pop

_MIGHT_ happen.
Behind (well behind, IMHO) all the bitching is a concern about what might happen, which concern users should be aware of.