Google's New Free CAD software: Want to Collaborate?

The application is not entirely contained in folder(s). The Registry is where most of the stuff you're seeking would be located and it's not a place you want to mess around unless you know exactly what you're doing.

RicodJour

It's common for betas to be time bombed. I don't see where there's a problem with that as long as the product continues to be free.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes, and the new version worked with my file.

Reply to
John L. Poole

Maybe so but we no betas were being discussed.

Reply to
CW

"John L. Poole" wrote in news:COQrg.676$2v.663 @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

That's a good thing, then!!

Reply to
Han

If the "we" was a typo, you are wrong. The window title for google sketchup very clearly says "beta", at least on mine.

If the "no" was supposed to be "know", I don't get your point. And it is not time limited--it just requires updating to latest version to keep working.

Reply to
alexy

I don't think I'd depend on that policy being permanent - I said in June it was going to be a baiting effort; I still think it is. They just want a well entrenched user base before they end the freebie. So, if you're playing with it, great; but do NOT depend on it if you don't plan to eventually pay for it. You'll likely end up with orphaned dwgs or looking for crackers. Also, look for a big drop in the Pro pricetag when the freebie ends, purportedly to make it easier on those who are "hooked" on it. Maybe in the form of a "special deal" for Beta testing. AVOID EVER DEPENDING ON A BETA FOR ANY REASON!!

Pop

Reply to
Pop

As the OP indicated in a subsequent reply, the new free version does work. However, this should be a real red flag to those taking advantage of the "free" version. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that the new version is also dated to expire at some future date. It is also not beyond the realm of possibility that in the future, after people have invested considerable time and effort in the creation of various files and projects, that the "free" version could go away, leaving the only [legal according to the DMCA] options available to either pay for the professional version in order to liberate one's files or to abandon those files and the accompanying work.

Sure doesn't seem to fall under the "do no evil" code by which Google supposedly lives. At a minimum, the fact that the software will expire at a future date should be disclosed.

Mark & Juanita

Your prophetic June posting echoed in the back of my mind as I wrote today's posting. I remember reading it and thinking, well maybe in this case, Google might be different. Wishful thinking -- they're a publicly traded company who are going to have to answer to Wall Street's demand of continually maximizing profits, and your outline/predictions do summarize a very savvy, if not predatory, strategy to gain market share. When the small competitors are driven out, then the resulting oligopoly can then pluck the consumers.

(Pop: I'd have sent this privately, but it looks like the only way to reach you is to post publicly; I acknowledge this is getting far from the topic of woodworking.)

Reply to
John L. Poole

That hypothetical situation, certainly would violate a "do no evil" code. But I've seen nothing that they have done that violates it. And where are folks getting the idea that the software will expire at some future date? I haven't seen anything to that effect.

Reply to
alexy

I think, hope, but don't know, that you are wrong.

No, I have a planned "out". The full versions demo is fully file compatible with the free version, and exports to a bunch of standard file formats. And it runs for 8 hours of machine time, plenty of time to export lots of files if your direst predictions come true.

Reply to
alexy

IIRC SketchUp is offered by Google as an adjunct to "Google Earth" in hopes that users will populate the "Google Earth" database with 3D drawings of the buildings in the users' respective area.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I would argue that since it was not prominently disclosed that the software being downloaded had a timebomb (it may have been buried somewhere several pages down in 6 point type in the click-through EULA) is a questionable practice in itself and seems to violate the spirit of what Google purports to be compared to other software houses.

It's not a stretch to assume that the versions being downloaded are also set to expire since the current version others have used were so set.

Mark & Juanita

It's not "do no evil", it's "don't be evil".

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I don't think anyone has seen a version that was set to expire at a certain time. It requires accepting updates to keep it current. Just tried it, and it works when not connected. I don't know how long, though--might have a requirement to check update status every so often. Would agree that is not clearly disclosed, but it seems quite a bit different from saying that it is "set to expire" at a certain point.

Reply to
alexy

It's also within the realm of possibility that in the near future they might be planning to release some serious enhancements or an upgrade that makes the free version trifling in comparison. It might also be expected that many of the users of the free version would pay for this "upgrade".

Reply to
Upscale

Check C:\Windows\system for... allfsaf4a.ocx machnm1.exe mfc42u.dll mpiwin32.dll

All are added by the install. If left, the time thing may be in one (didn't see any in registry but there are a ton & I didn't peruse them carefully).

There are also a number of files in Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{9421EB49-B1C8-496F-A307-FF0E4F43E6F5} In particular, there is apparently license info in the cab file...at least, such is referenced by layout.bin. The cab file isn't readable with normal zip compression programs - Winrar & PowerArchiver at least.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've never seen so many people bitch about something for which none of them has paid a dime.

Reply to
James E. Cannon

Not a problem; that's by design, in fact. I prefer to avoid direct contacts not due to the people I meet online but rather the ones I don't meet; namely, email address scraping robots. Likewise I don't contact people in groups either without first asking permission. It's almost always preferable to have one's thoughts in the clear anyway so everyhone may benefit in case a snippet of good infor sneaks in, IMO, and if it's something you don't want noted for prosperity the "X-no archive..." attribute gives it at least a sense of a short life in archives. I don't use that either unless I'm just "gabbing", which isn't too often. And, I don't really find it off topic, though others may disagree. I'm usually easy to get along with.

Regards,

Pop`

Reply to
Pop

But then, it WAS labeled as BETA sofware, so ... that means caveat emptor even it if is free. Usually, unless there's a promise of a benefit for using a BETA program, you can expect a glitch or rug-pull somewhere along the line. BETA is TEST software and often a good way of seeing how something is received by the general public. Then once you know, you end the BETA, have a nice big release announcement, and wait for the checks to roll in. IMO one should NEVER participate in any BETA without promise of a reward for their efforts. I do it with MS, and I get free software for it, but they're up front and tell you so. And they stick to their word. IMO again, as Excellent a tool as Google is, they ARE a business and one must expect them to act that way. They're a .COM, nor a .ORG, after all. There is only one way a business stays in business and that's by making money. And anyone offering BETA software is offering untested software only slightly removed from the ALPHA runs and hopefully headed for a Release version.

Regards,

Pop`

Pop