good vise?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

According to Ecnerwal, chocolate and cats (furry dragons?) should rate fairly high. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:58:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I recently bought a low end Chinese vise from Woodcraft. First one I've owned with quick-release. Perhaps that has biased my judgement, but it seems to work fine for me. There's probably a little more slop in the threads than in the higher priced ones, but not enough to be a problem. Here's a link to one like mine:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID 5444&FamilyID09

Steve Turner wrote:

Yeah, but recall the OP; he has a busted CRAFTSMAN vise - presumably of domestic manufacture.

Wooden handscrew clamped to the workbench with another clamp. Started out as a stopgap measure, but with decent vises not being cheap, it's become my permanent setup.
For hand planing, a 3/4" wide cleat shoved into the miter slot of the table saw makes a fine bench dog.