Good table top, where to get?

I want to get a good looking table top (I already have a base), about 6 ft long and 3 feet wide.
Any kind of wood is ok, except pine and if it's beat up and needs refinishing that's fine.
Where can something like that be found and at what appx. cost?
Thanks
Jim-Poncin wrote:

Dave

Not the 100 plus or minus I've gone to in the last year...

Home centers have planks suitable for table tops.

step one: goto lumber yard step two: buy 1 sheet 19mm mdf core veneer ply step three: cut it like you want it step three.five: make sure your bandsaw blade is sharp step four: goto step one if you want it thicker
good luck

you can get 6 to 8 quater maple tops from Grizzley (at least they used to carry them) that are like the restaurant work tables, and work bench table tops. I think Woodcraft carries some, and my local hardwood supplies can order them also.They aren't cheap, slightly more than if you buy the wood at retail and make it yourself. robo hippy

About the same dimensions as a door. Make sure it's solid core.
You stole my suggestion! Ahhhh... its so obvious I thought it was a joke.
Seriously though... go to your local town recycle/dump center and check out the solid core flush doors. You might even find a 42" door if you're patient, but 36" doors are fairly plentiful.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmelt.com wrote in

The local door shop in my town has a large oops pile. I hope that's because it has built over time, and not that they have employee training problems. $10 to $15 each, take your pick.
Patriarch