good example of using ropes for porch swing

this is a nice example
http://i.imgur.com/P9kaIoJ.jpg
would probably trim the eye bolt ends but that is minor
might even turn a small finial to cover the ey bolt ends
well it still uses chains to hang the whole thing but the ropes are a nice detail

How about eliminating the too-long, unsightly eyebolts .. Run the rope through a rope-sized hole & tie a knot ? John T.
--- ---
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 15:29:25 -0500 snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

not a bad idea saves money too because the eye bolts and nuts add to the cost
but it might be hard to get the knots just right so the swing is level
although the leveling could be done at the top where it attaches to the chains going into the porch

Put deadeyes in and then you can adjust to your hearts content. Plus it would look very nautical.
(being serious for a moment, I think if you ran the rope thru a hole you might have problems with chafing).
John
On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 3:29:45 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:

Not so much the knots being in the right place..... I've tried using rope t o hang swings, before.... the problem with rope is that it stretches..... t hough I have not used rope as big (diameter) as what's in your link. A we ighted swing (persons on the swing) will add weight to a (potentially) stre tching/stretchable rope.
Rope might look good, but I, after my experience with it for hanging swings , would recommend using chains. A possible option: One could try twisting rope around a chain and see what it looks like, if a rustic appearance is the/a goal.
Sonny
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:45:38 -0800 (PST)

true that really any rope will stretch with enough force applied
good quality sisal should not stretch if properly size matched
rope would be more work to get right

not a bad idea at all smaller rope could be woven in and thru the chain links
i have also seen colored plastic coverings over chains but no idea what that costs
On 1/21/2016 12:06 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Lack of punctuation makes it hard to tell exactly with it is you're trying to say ... but I do know one thing for damned sure:
Ain't no way in hell you've ever dallied a rope around a saddle horn with a 900lb steer on the other end ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/21/2016 2:45 PM, Swingman wrote:

You may have hit the nail on the head. I seriously doubt that he knows what he wants to day either, hence no punctuation and hoping some one will figure it out for him/it.
On 1/21/16 5:46 PM, Leon wrote:

When we were children, if we didn't use punctuation the teacher would hand back our assignment and we'd have to redo it and turn it in again.
I think we should take that approach with this guy. No one should answer any of his questions or reply to anything he says until he decided to punctuate his $h!t. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/22/2016 12:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I do my best to ignore him.

Mike you just want to run up to da comet and smack him with a ruler, metal edge no doubt? Just like the nuns did.
Mark
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:45:38 -0800 (PST)

here is a good example of exactly that idea warms up the swing a little
http://countrydesignstyle.com/easy-breezy-rope-trick/
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

What kind of rope were you using? It makes a difference. Nylon has lots of stretch, dacron, polypropylene and natural fibers not so much. Then there's Kevlar and Spectra that are close to steel in stretch or lack of same.
Getting the knot positioned is in part a matter of using the right knot. Take a look in the "Stoppers" section of <http://www.animatedknots.com/ .
On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 12:28:52 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

Or, do a proper eye splice with a thimble, and affix with a U-bolt. You get better strength from the rope that way.