Gluing wood

Page 1 of 2
Any opinions wanted on how I have been gluing wood. I have been using Tite Bond yellow with good results. I moisten slightly both surfaces with water. Then a thin coat of glue brushed on both surfaces and clamped. My reason for doing it that way is I think the glue penetrates the wood better and get a stronger joint. Is there a better way? WW

Yes, don't pre-dampen. It's not necessary and may create weaker joints.
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:49:40 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks

polyurethane glues.
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:49:40 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks

TB is the best on the market, IMO... If it worked better on damp wood, it would say that on the instructions..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Time and again, it has been proven that a good glue joint is stronger than the wood itself. There is no advantage to moistening the surface and if fact, it may make for a weaker joint if it does not allows the solids in the adhesive to attach themselves tot he surface.
If the joint is dusty, it may be an advantage to wipe it wet or dry so the dust is not a barrier. .

Yes, don't use water! Water dilutes the glue.

I moisten the board faces, along the edges, not the glue joint faces. My idea of moistening the board's faces is to prevent the squeeze-out from adhering to or penetrating into the faces, causing a "show-line", after the glue has dried. I do wet-wipe the squeeze-out, also, once clamped. Pre-wetting seems to allow for easier clean-up, also. I've always reasoned this initial wetting helps prevent any glue penetration into the faces, not assist with penetration. Seems to work for me.
I would think, if a glue needs penetration assistance, then it should/ would be written on the bottle/container as so.
Sonny
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 07:39:34 -0700, Sonny wrote:

I use wax instead of water. I also prefinish where possible.

Glue does not penetrate as much as you would think. Better bonds are made on shiney smooth surfaces than those that are not .

Maybe, maybe not. Why worry about it if it has been working well for you?

Well you can eat a little poison every day with out immediate ill results.

And that has what to do with gluing wood?
Glue spreads a little easier and more evenly on the moistened surface, and he says he has good results. Just how much added moisture will be problematic? Do we now need "summer" glue and "winter" glue?

Faliure down the road from a watered down aplication today may look fine today.

I'll grant that as a possibility. Just how much moisture are we talking about here?
MikeWhy wrote:

From Titebond FAQ:
"Most of our wood glues can be thinned with water up to 5% by weight or by volume. Adding more than 5% water to our glues will decrease the bond strength."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote: -------------------------------------

SFWIW
5% must be a general purpose seat of the pants number.
5% is also the max amount of denatured alcohol for diluting epoxy.
Lew
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:23:24 -0500, "MikeWhy"

Only as an analogy that illustrates the fact that just because an action may appear to have immediate benefits without obvious ill effects, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea for the long term.
My cardiologist prescribed low doses of a rat poison for me after my first heart attack. But that was for a short time period. Good immediate benefit, but contraindicated for the long term.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote: ...

OTOH, others continue on it for extended periods of many years... :)

AND they "eventually" die. :~)